General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumba** mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:33 AM
obidio
|
Road Captain
Default Dumba** mistake

This weekend I was cruising on the interstate going about 70-75 mph, heavy traffic, switching lanes, looking over my shoulder, riding defensively, etc. My mind was clear and I was focused but my right hand and fingers were somewhat numb (2 hours of riding). As I reached with my right thumb which was stiff and had no feeling to engage right side turn signal to get out of the fast lane (cager on my a**), I accidently hit the kill switch. The bike turned off and i began coasting. Luckily, my two right lanes were somewhat clear (cagers slowed down when they saw me veering right) and I was able to coast into the right shoulder.

Couple of things:

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. I plan to not use my right turn signals ever again.
3. I ruined a good pair of exofficio underwear.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:35 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Why didn't you just turn it back on?

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:39 AM
obidio
|
Road Captain

too worried about getting out of the way of the damn cagers...

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:49 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior

Yep, I did it once. Not from numb fingers, just careless. I just restarted it and told myself to be more careful.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:56 AM
Suntower
Road Master

That is the one thing I miss about the Jap bikes I had... both turn signals on one slider on the left side. Why Harley wants to me regularly be pushing a button to signal... that is right next to the button that shuts the bike off... I don't get it.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:57 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LS Bob
Yep, I did it once. Not from numb fingers, just careless. I just restarted it and told myself to be more careful.
Me too.

Old 06-03-2013 | 11:39 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

I did it last summer on I-10 doing about 75 mph. I instinctively pulled in the clutch and coasted to the breakdown lane. Lesson learned, I hope to never make that mistake again. I remember the bike sputtering and popping like all hell the second after I hit the switch. My brother in law who was following me thought I had a major breakdown.

Old 06-03-2013 | 11:40 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Been lucky I guess, I've never had this happen.

Old 06-03-2013 | 11:52 AM
MSHax
Novice

Originally Posted by obidio
This weekend I was cruising on the interstate going about 70-75 mph, heavy traffic, switching lanes, looking over my shoulder, riding defensively, etc. My mind was clear and I was focused but my right hand and fingers were somewhat numb (2 hours of riding). As I reached with my right thumb which was stiff and had no feeling to engage right side turn signal to get out of the fast lane (cager on my a**), I accidently hit the kill switch. The bike turned off and i began coasting. Luckily, my two right lanes were somewhat clear (cagers slowed down when they saw me veering right) and I was able to coast into the right shoulder.

Couple of things:

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. I plan to not use my right turn signals ever again.
3. I ruined a good pair of exofficio underwear.
First off, FAIL! Now that that's been said, yeah, been there. For over 2 years I rode back and forth from Oakland to Anahiem twice a month. For those who are doing the math right now that's 1000 miles round trip (including some in town riding). Each way is about 6 1/2-7 hours. I've done this ride so many times that I can do it in my sleep.....and have. I started riding when I was 11 on my sweet a** Trail 70, I've logged SOO many miles it's unmeasurable at this point. After all these miles, and seat time logged, TRUST ME, I've done some stupid sh*t! When I was younger I was riding from Florida heading back to Detroit after spring break, I left after a day of partying, I was soo sleepy that I took the wrong freeway. I hit mobile alabama before I even realized it. With all that rambling, I've got to have a point right? Basically, as much fun as it is to go on "iron a**" rides, don't go over your limit

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:11 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never done it, but I can imagine how you felt. Sounds like you handled it just fine and I'm betting that you won't do that again!

Quick Reply: Dumba** mistake