General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumba** mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013 | 08:26 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior

Sounds like he just panicked a little when the bike cut off.

Me and my buddies use to sneak up next to each other and reach over hit the kill switch on rides...if a dude is not expecting it, it will freak them the f**k out.

It freaked me out the first time it was done to me.

Old 06-04-2013 | 10:00 PM
JohnTM
Tourer

Good advice. I'll avoid pushing the starter button while riding. Makes sense to me since "I've already started."

Old 06-04-2013 | 10:25 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnTM
Thank you for the reply. Now I know what to do if I ever hit the kill switch by mistake while riding.

Am I to understand that if I always use the key switch to start-up and stop, that I can always disregard the kill switch and leave it on all the time?
The only time I use the kill switch is if I'm on an incline and don't want to let go of the bars (front brake) to turn off the ignition switch. I'll hit the kill sw., turn off the ignition, then immediately reset the kill switch.

Although I've been known to accidentally hit the kill switch and then spend 5-6 seconds wondering why the bike won't start. lol

Old 06-05-2013 | 07:34 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior

Thank you for the reply. Now I know what to do if I ever hit the kill switch by mistake while riding.

Am I to understand that if I always use the key switch to start-up and stop, that I can always disregard the kill switch and leave it on all the time?
Yea, you can leave the kill switch on all the time. It's not wired to the battery like the keyed ignition/accessory switch if you are concerned leaving it on will drain the battery.

Tech23

Old 06-05-2013 | 07:37 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tech23
Yea, you can leave the kill switch on all the time. It's not wired to the battery like the keyed ignition/accessory switch if you are concerned leaving it on will drain the battery.

Tech23

+1 here too, never use it.

Old 06-05-2013 | 07:40 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

I am always very conscious about hitting the kill switch mistakingly. Glad I have never done it but I sure it would be a oops experience, Loo so much for putting on a clean pair of underwear before you eave

Old 06-05-2013 | 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I have done that. Just turned it back on and slowly let out the clutch. Engine started right up.

Old 06-05-2013 | 10:34 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Good advice. I'll avoid pushing the starter button while riding. Makes sense to me since "I've already started."
I only mention it because I have done it. Not intentionally - just another brain fart. So yes, I am very capable of dumass mistakes. It was after a loooong day of riding. Pulled into an Applebees in Rapids City (for Sturgis) to have a late meal. I was fatigued and, I'm not sure why, hit the starter (maybe I was going for the kill switch?). Of course there were a bunch of people hanging around their bikes and let out an audible, and in unison, groan when the starter made that awful grinding noise. Felt pretty stupid to be sure.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have done that. Just turned it back on and slowly let out the clutch. Engine started right up.
Everyone has their methods, but imo, you don't even need to pull in the clutch. Just hit the button and the bike just keeps on going.

Old 06-05-2013 | 10:46 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You guys are missing all the fun on the new bikes , back in the points days at highway speeds I'd open it wide hit the kill switch give it 3-4 seconds and turn back on and get a nice LOUD backfire , would scare the **** outa unsuspecting buddies & was a great way to freak out a clueless not paying attention cager .
I did it one to many times in the bosses old F600 ford. When it backfired it blew the muffler apart. I recon I held the peddal down to long before turning the key back on. Funny chit

Old 06-05-2013 | 11:30 AM
Berreta92f
Advanced

I've done it on my old bike, just held in the clutch, flipped the switch and released the clutch and the bike came back to life. Went from 75 to 65 by the time the bike was running again.

Quick Reply: Dumba** mistake