General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumba** mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:50 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Again, don't understand not just turning it back on. Rolling along at 70, hit kill switch, you notice it, you can hit the switch again and the bike will start running again. I've done it.

Guess I'm missing something here.
I accidentally did that one time and just flipped the switch back to on position and kept riding.

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnTM
Good subject.
Never happened to me.
Just so I am clear.
1) If this happens I simple turn the kill switch on and that's all?
2) when I finish riding I just turn off the key switch and leave the kill switch always on?
1 - yes. The bike just picks up where you left off like it never even happened. Unless you have a carburated bike. Then it might backfire because of the unburned gasses in the exhaust. But I would still just turn it back on and continue on my way.

2 - turn it off any way you want. Kill switch or ignition switch - they both shut of the motor.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:03 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I hit the brights instead of the horn just yesterday as some geezer cut me off on the interstate.

Old 06-03-2013 | 10:15 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suntower
That is the one thing I miss about the Jap bikes I had... both turn signals on one slider on the left side. Why Harley wants to me regularly be pushing a button to signal... that is right next to the button that shuts the bike off... I don't get it.
I guess its just what your use to. I've caught myself trying to shift with the rear brake pedal and I sold my triumph yearss ago.

Op, you should seriously check out the cramp buster. Very simple, inexpensive and they work

Old 06-03-2013 | 11:15 PM
JohnTM
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72
1 - yes. The bike just picks up where you left off like it never even happened. Unless you have a carburated bike. Then it might backfire because of the unburned gasses in the exhaust. But I would still just turn it back on and continue on my way.

2 - turn it off any way you want. Kill switch or ignition switch - they both shut of the motor.
Thank you for the reply. Now I know what to do if I ever hit the kill switch by mistake while riding.

Am I to understand that if I always use the key switch to start-up and stop, that I can always disregard the kill switch and leave it on all the time?

Old 06-04-2013 | 12:17 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior

Yea, just turn the damn thing back on...especially if you were worried about getting out of the way. Do you use the horn or the high beam switch to signal left?

Tech23

Old 06-04-2013 | 12:52 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Again, don't understand not just turning it back on. Rolling along at 70, hit kill switch, you notice it, you can hit the switch again and the bike will start running again. I've done it.

Guess I'm missing something here.
Yeah, did the same thing, no problem, takes right off again and didn't even have to pull over, just throttle back up and go to get back up to speed.

Old 06-04-2013 | 06:52 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
I have always warned my riding buddies to NEVER shut their bike off with the kill switch. One of them wondered why until he pulled up to me the very next time he saw me & went to hit the kill switch, but hit the starter instead. he did not like the noise that followed. My EX also did the exact same thing to my Fatboy. I too, didn't like the noise.

Got the starter instead of the turn signal once. Ugly enough noise that I'll never make that mistake again.

Old 06-04-2013 | 07:45 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You guys are missing all the fun on the new bikes , back in the points days at highway speeds I'd open it wide hit the kill switch give it 3-4 seconds and turn back on and get a nice LOUD backfire , would scare the **** outa unsuspecting buddies & was a great way to freak out a clueless not paying attention cager .

Old 06-04-2013 | 08:19 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnTM
Am I to understand that if I always use the key switch to start-up and stop, that I can always disregard the kill switch and leave it on all the time?
Sure, if that's how you want to do it. Some even believe that is the "correct" way to do it. Something about the kill switch messing with the computer or some such. I'm not a believer. I just hit the kill switch because it's right there. Never had a problem. Even when I did it on the highway.

I know these bikes aren't cheap and there's a lot of guys here new to riding. But, it's still just a motorcycle. Don't be afraid to push buttons and turn *****. That's what they are there for. Okay, maybe don't push the starter button while it's running.

Quick Reply: Dumba** mistake