General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumba** mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:30 PM
FLHR09
Advanced

Sounds like you handled it just fine and I'm betting that you won't do that again!

Plus 1 - done it myself. Coasted off road and restarted - never did it again (so far).

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:32 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Again, don't understand not just turning it back on. Rolling along at 70, hit kill switch, you notice it, you can hit the switch again and the bike will start running again. I've done it.

Guess I'm missing something here.

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:51 PM
SR90
Tourer

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Again, don't understand not just turning it back on. Rolling along at 70, hit kill switch, you notice it, you can hit the switch again and the bike will start running again. I've done it.

Guess I'm missing something here.
Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Had rented a Limited and was cruising at 75 on the freeway when I accidently hit the kill switch. I didn't touch the clutch or brake or change lanes. Just hit the switch back on and kept riding. I imagine if I had pulled the clutch in I would had to hit the starter button after moving the kill switch back (or just release the clutch), but with the clutch engaged it immediately restarted and kept going with hardly missing a beat.

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:53 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

Its a just flip the switch back on deal and your on your way. Good thing you could move over as plan B.

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:57 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Nope, never did this in my life. Glad you made it out ok.

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:16 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I've wondered if hitting the "off" switch would do anything, while the engine was on and in gear. I hoped it'd be unable to be turned off by accident. Now I know.

I guess I'll be taking a quick glance before I hit the signal. Or glueing some kind of bump on it, so my thumb knows where it's at, like the #5 on a key pad.

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:17 PM
lmarty
Novice

Originally Posted by Suntower
That is the one thing I miss about the Jap bikes I had... both turn signals on one slider on the left side. Why Harley wants to me regularly be pushing a button to signal... that is right next to the button that shuts the bike off... I don't get it.
First few weeks after selling my Vulcan and getting Switchback, hit turn signal and as I move to right on freeway, realize left signal blinking.

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:46 PM
penmaker
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I've wondered if hitting the "off" switch would do anything, while the engine was on and in gear. I hoped it'd be unable to be turned off by accident. Now I know.

I guess I'll be taking a quick glance before I hit the signal. Or glueing some kind of bump on it, so my thumb knows where it's at, like the #5 on a key pad.

That's what the kill switch is for, to kill the bike in case of emergency. In you cage, if you turn off the switch, it's going to die whether you're in gear doing a 100 mph or in park in your garage.

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:49 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

Kill switches make sense... putting them in the same approximate location regardless of manufacturer does too.

After an accident, with the bike on its side, running and in gear with the wheel spinning - may be the best reason for killing the engine.

First responders need to know where it is and use it quickly.

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:53 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SR90
Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Had rented a Limited and was cruising at 75 on the freeway when I accidently hit the kill switch. I didn't touch the clutch or brake or change lanes. Just hit the switch back on and kept riding. I imagine if I had pulled the clutch in I would had to hit the starter button after moving the kill switch back (or just release the clutch), but with the clutch engaged it immediately restarted and kept going with hardly missing a beat.
I have done this on my Harley, and my first bike, a Vulcan 750. Just put it back on and it starts right up.

Quick Reply: Dumba** mistake