General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Dealer Sameness

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Zanotti
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Dealer Sameness

I get to travel a lot for business and being new to Harley, I have gone to several Harley dealerships around the country.

What has struck me is the relative sameness of all of them. I know Harley marketing only allows them to sell Harley branded items, so every store has the same crap, with the exception of differently branded black T Shirt.

Seems silly to me. Why go anywhere or even your own dealer? They all have only the catalog and once you've seen it all, you've seen it all.

The only interesting stuff there is the used bikes because they are different.

I think Harley is making a mistake making all the dealers the same. Sure some are larger and some are smaller - but they all carry exactly the same stuff (and I don't need Harley branded ice cube trays!)

Where is the store with the treasures?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

Harleys are like any big brand name, its not only the bikes, accessories and clothing that's the same even the way the stores are laid out colour schemes etc,think you've got to go indie shops to find something different.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,802 Likes on 3,164 Posts

You wouldn't think that way traveling around the country and stopping at McDonalds.

Consistency is the key to their brand. Same with Harley as they know what sells.
( For Example, there are only about 5 building designs pre-approved by the Moco, all others have to pass a review process.)

Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, it's called brand marketing. There are a few unique Harley stores left but the corporate look is the look now.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked candidly with employees (and one owner) at 4 stores and gathered that the moco pretty much mandates location, size, sameness, and inventory. Apparently they provide drawings and lists of acceptable finishes for the buildings. One thing I neglected to ask is if the moco has to approve the design of the shirts unique to each store.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
Talked candidly with employees (and one owner) at 4 stores and gathered that the moco pretty much mandates location, size, sameness, and inventory. Apparently they provide drawings and lists of acceptable finishes for the buildings. One thing I neglected to ask is if the moco has to approve the design of the shirts unique to each store.
You are so right on target. The MoCo will send people out with light meters to measure the lighting level in the retail area of a dealership. Dealer has to be in compliance. It is all spelled out to the finest detail.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

We call it presentation.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 385 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanotti
I get to travel a lot for business and being new to Harley, I have gone to several Harley dealerships around the country.

What has struck me is the relative sameness of all of them. I know Harley marketing only allows them to sell Harley branded items, so every store has the same crap, with the exception of differently branded black T Shirt.

Seems silly to me. ...
I kind of agree. Like McDonald's and Day's Inns, I guess we're supposed to feel more comfortable with sameness. It's actually much more interesting visiting dealers selling Japanese, Triumph, Moto-Guzzi, KTM and Ducati. Every dealer is different.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I was in the T-shirt store in Hill City S.D. last month just as they preparing to open for the season. Talking to the guys they said corporate was dictating light fixtures and all as stated above. There was no room for local personality in the stores, sadly. I told them, well that's what I traveled 400 miles for, the corporate look. Most unfortunate. I get it, but I think it is short sighted.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its the same reason women go to stores with the same clothes. Using your logic there would be no brick and mortar stores, lets just all shop online.

Quick Reply: Harley Dealer Sameness