General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ear plugs?

pococj

[/quote]
Sticky, the old rule is if you do something and your ears are ringing, you've permanently damaged the cilia, and your hearing. Good idea about the plugs. I use the ones from my plant that have a string connecting them together. When I stop for gas or whatever I just loop 'em around my neck with a half-hitch. If it might be "socially unacceptable" to wear them in some place, I hang 'em on my bars.

All y'all, get ear plugs of some kind or another. The wind noise is high enough it will screw up your hearing.
[/quote]

What? Can you speak up?

Jk...I know what you are saying and thanks. The damage is already there. The parts of my ears that pick up certain sounds is kaput! All I can do is keep the pain down at this point. I have ringing all the times in my ears. You get use to it after awhile. But when they get cold they really ring!

Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dug around in a few drawers at home until I found the pair that I used to practice with handguns. They are "SONIC IIs" that, when inserted, allow normal hearing - but attenuate any sound above a certain decibel by way of some sort of capsule thats made into each plug. (I didn't like not being able to hear when I had the solid plugs inserted) Maybe I can try them out while riding the bike this week and let everyone know how they perform.

I would be good if they allowed me to hear "normal" sounds, then cut in at about 40-45 mph to eliminate wind noise! (wishful thinking maybe)

Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked in engineroom/boilerrooms in the Navy, same at power plant, ran pavement breakers and backhoes, shot compition with Muzzleloaders, rode thousands of miles on the bikes, all this for most of my life, I now wear ear plugs to save what I have left of my hearing. constant ringing in my ears, its so bad sometimes I can not fall asleep. so take my advice young grasshopper, wear earplugs while rideing your bike, folks in the know do it..its really not about how cool you look its a matter of saveing your hearing!! its a real bummer to say HUH? to your grandchildern all the time

Old 08-22-2005, 12:15 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, my hearing's not great and I'm always having to ask people to repeat themselves. It really pisses my wife off sometimes cause she thinks that I'm not listening to her instead of not being able to hear her. She gets really mad when I tell her to stop mumbling.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: screwball

I wear a pair of Koss Noise reducing ear phones plugged into an MP3 player in my pocket. When the music is off I can hear normal talking at stop lights. At hwy speeds it stops the wind noise and you can listen to what ever music you want without blasting everyone around you.

Hint, don't listen to '50's doo wap music while driving. If you don't have a windshield (I don't) and start singing the bass lead you give bugs a great target. Do you know how bad a butterfly tastes at 60mph???
Which model ear phones are those? I have been looking for a pair of noise reducing earphones for riding. Do you use a 1/2 helmet, and how loud do you have to have the music when you're riding?

Thanks.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

I have crappy hearing already. I have had problems with my ears since I was a kid, but playing in loud Metal bands for 20 years, and not having worn earplugs for the first 15 of those ever (I wear custom made plugs now when I practice, but not at gigs), has worsened the problems (of course). I wear earplugs whenever I will be on the highway for any extended period of time.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Reno
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much wear them when I am going to be going for a long time. I had always wore full face helmets on the sportbikes and when racing on the track, I wore earplugs and now it totally helps with wind noise especially with a half helmets. Won't ride long distance without them.