General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get the whole "helmets look dorky" attitude that most harley riders have. Do some of you have giant heads or really scrawny bodies or something? I remember i couldnt wait to get my first new full face helmet in 1981, a Bell Moto III. I loved that helmet and thought it was the coolest thing ever. So did all my buddies. 30 years later and 30 motorcycles later, both on and off road, and i still think my helmets look cool. Never once did i get on my ktm and pull on my shoei or climb aboard my zx6r and don my Bell, did i ever once think i looked goofy with my helmet on. Now i wear my flat black hjc is max and think its the cats azz.....course now that im old i really dont give a crap what anybody else thinks i look like.

Not sure why the cruiser crowd has such a problem with helmets

Dave

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier

Dave
Not sure why helmet-lovers have such a problem with their perception of the "cruiser crowd".

I may have ten helmets. All of them are full-face. All of them are comfortable, partly because they are expensive. Oddly, I'm extremely claustrophobic but I don't have any trouble with putting on a helmet.

It's a conditioned response, I guess. I always have a good time after I put on a helmet.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM
DPelletier
Tourer

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Not sure why helmet-lovers have such a problem with their perception of the "cruiser crowd".

I may have ten helmets. All of them are full-face. All of them are comfortable, partly because they are expensive. Oddly, I'm extremely claustrophobic but I don't have any trouble with putting on a helmet.

It's a conditioned response, I guess. I always have a good time after I put on a helmet.
If you think i care about anyone elses perception of me or how i ride you are sadly mistaken

Cheers

Dave

Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 AM
esko
1st Gear

Depends on where I'm riding. Sometimes fullface sometimes Biltwell 3/4 sometimes novelty 1/2. Yes I've had a spill or two. It's still a SAD fact that someone can say I have too wear one at all! It should be my own choice. No rule crazed cop should be able to fine me for not wearing it.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 118of1050
As a retired motor cop, I've seen my fair share of motorcycle crashes. I used to think the same way as you until I witnessed on more than one occasion novelty helmets inflicting jury in a crash. Upon impact, I've seen them shatter and impale shards of that novelty plastic in both ride and passenger...

I know it's not cool to look like the little green guy Gazoo from the Flintstone's, but better to look like him than look dead!

Sometimes, helmets do nothing more than provide your family the option of having an open casket viewing at the wake, but other times they do exactly what they're designed to do...

Before I retired, I would've written you too! Sorry but...

Ride safe and make the right choice!

All of the above is just my humble opinion based on life, experience and common sense and in this particular case supported by law in many localities!

This comment should be framed. Seriously. Common sense and experience in a nutshell.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 AM
god61021
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll show the judge no mercy either. I'll be respectful, but he'll know how I feel. [/quote]

YEAH! YOU'LL SHOW THEM!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
Don't beleive that for a second, but many do drink the coolade. In Nebraska, the government paid for all uninsured mototcycle injury hospital care. Not the insurance companies. In fact, when a state enacted a mandatory helmet law that state lost millions of dollars and hundreds of jobs due to the decline in motorcycle sales, repairs and related employment. In Nebraska the sales dropped 48% when mandatory helmet laws were enacted. A study at the University of North Carolina also confirmed that motorcycle accidents do not increase the insurance rates of others on the road.
Where did the government get the money to pay those bills from? They got it from YOU! It absolutely does cost me and everyone else (that pays taxes) to keep that sorry *** alive, so it is coming out of my pocket. What's the difference if you pay more in insurance premiums or pay more in higher taxes? It's like the difference between taking a buck out of your left pocket or your right.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 AM
rickinindy66
Novice

Originally Posted by stro1965
BS. If my insurance rates go up because you chose not to wear a helmet and cost the insurance company a couple million bucks to keep you alive, it absolutely does affect me and every other driver on the road.
If that is your argument then motorcycles should be illegal. As snow skiing, ATV's, cars, junk food, football.... Geeze, must be a democrat.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I dont get the whole "helmets look dorky" attitude that most harley riders have. Do some of you have giant heads or really scrawny bodies or something? I remember i couldnt wait to get my first new full face helmet in 1981, a Bell Moto III. I loved that helmet and thought it was the coolest thing ever. So did all my buddies. 30 years later and 30 motorcycles later, both on and off road, and i still think my helmets look cool. Never once did i get on my ktm and pull on my shoei or climb aboard my zx6r and don my Bell, did i ever once think i looked goofy with my helmet on. Now i wear my flat black hjc is max and think its the cats azz.....course now that im old i really dont give a crap what anybody else thinks i look like.

Dave

I agree but why do you have such a problem with the cruiser crowd? We really don't give a crap about what anybody thinks about us or about all of your brand name helmets.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by rickinindy66
If that is your argument then motorcycles should be illegal. As snow skiing, ATV's, cars, junk food, football.... Geeze, must be a democrat.
Not a Democrat. But my wife is. What's wrong with that?

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket