General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
LOL! Everyone else deserves a ticket but not me! Priceless!
I didn't say he didn't deserve the ticket, just better uses of the cop's time.
Wearing a non-DOT helmet IMHO is a victimless crime compared to all the crap I see on the streets and highways.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I like the Bell Star, full face with a photochromic face shield that changes from full tint in the sunshine to clear at night. It's expensive, but is the cat's meow....

Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
I didn't say he didn't deserve the ticket, just better uses of the cop's time.
Wearing a non-DOT helmet IMHO is a victimless crime compared to all the crap I see on the streets and highways.
And the guy I cite for failure to signal a turn doesn't say the exact same thing?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
And the guy I cite for failure to signal a turn doesn't say the exact same thing?
The failure to use a turn signal impacts the other drivers around the car. Cops should give more tickets for such acts, including tickets to persons who text, talk on the phone, eat, or are just bad drivers. Such persons could easily be ticketed for not properly maintaining control of their vehicle. But they are not until after an accident since such violations are subjective and cops want evidence of an objective violation since it is easy to prove in court. It is also proven these acts cause accidents and are a safety concern for other drivers because such acts can cause accidents.

Whether a helmet is worn, conversely, does absolutely nothing to impact the safety and road conditions of other drivers. Justification of helmet laws by arguing head injuries from motorcycles impose medical costs upon society when not wearing a helmet is insincere. There are many more activites that impose a much greater harm against society persons that are not regulated or prohibited. (e.g. fast food makes people fat which imposes medical costs upon society & stupid people are allowed to have kids.) The helmet law is all about money, as are most traffic tickets.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 AM
prosport76
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 AM
QC
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jake911
The failure to use a turn signal impacts the other drivers around the car. Cops should give more tickets for such acts, including tickets to persons who text, talk on the phone, eat, or are just bad drivers. Such persons could easily be ticketed for not properly maintaining control of their vehicle. But they are not until after an accident since such violations are subjective and cops want evidence of an objective violation since it is easy to prove in court. It is also proven these acts cause accidents and are a safety concern for other drivers because such acts can cause accidents.

Whether a helmet is worn, conversely, does absolutely nothing to impact the safety and road conditions of other drivers. Justification of helmet laws by arguing head injuries from motorcycles impose medical costs upon society when not wearing a helmet is insincere. There are many more activites that impose a much greater harm against society persons that are not regulated or prohibited. (e.g. fast food makes people fat which imposes medical costs upon society & stupid people are allowed to have kids.) The helmet law is all about money, as are most traffic tickets.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,436 Likes on 9,758 Posts

ppreciate all the recommendations.... thanks guys Gonna go do a little researching and figure out which one. I prefer a half helmet, but I'm keeping an open mind. I make my daughter wear a full face, cause as I tell her.... you get hurt and it's a bad day. I get hurt and no one would be able to tell the difference

Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 PM
QC
Club Member

Likewise.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911

BS. If my insurance rates go up because you chose not to wear a helmet and cost the insurance company a couple million bucks to keep you alive, it absolutely does affect me and every other driver on the road.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend got a ZR1 helmet from the Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach during BikeWeek. Very nice helmet. Very well made, good shape, as small and compact a shell as I've seen. I was very impressed, will probably go that route at helmet replacement time. DOT as well.

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket