General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM
118of1050
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lol!

I hear ya brother! It would be different if he was wrong ant you weren't in violation. Amongst other assignments I held over the years was traffic. Nothing more hypocritical than a cop stopping you and giving you a ticket for an expired inspection while the very officer who wrote you drives a car with an expired inspection. His was not expired by one day, one week, or one month it was over a year overdue! He had a million excuses... But the poor unsuspecting motorist he stopped on May 1st, who's inspection expired April 30th would get a lecture and a ticket from this douche.

There are no shortage of Barney Feiffs or Roscoe P. Coltrane's from the Dukes of Hazard out there and I hear ya, but regardless of how you feel, you were wrong! It would be different in my eyes if you were wearing a legal bucket and got tagged! Then I'd stand and fight with ya!

Choose your battles wisely!

;-)

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,436 Likes on 9,758 Posts

Wise words.... and understand what you're saying. For some reason, I've got a gift when it comes to speaking. When I was in the army I had Sergeant Majors and Captains ask me if I'd taken public speaking courses. I'm sure I'll still have to pay some, but at least Barney Fife and whatever judge I get will know I understand this is nothing more than a shake down.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM
118of1050
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just remember...

As you explain the shakedown to them you'll be looking at them upside down as the coin hits the floor!

I've even heard of some places where courts fine people minimum end of range when plead by mail as compared to max fines if the judge has to hear your sob story!

The law says you're wrong for not wearing an approved helmet, it also says you have the right to a trial... I don't remember anything in legal training or h.s. civics class that mentioned you have the right to be heard at a trial but it'll cost ya!

Good luck! Keep me posted, I have nothing better to do here at the mall but talk about everyone's shoes!

Lol!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Helrazor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here we go again, how do you look with ya brains splattered on a texting teens windsheild????

Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

If you care about a lower profile, a Bell Custom 500 has that. If you're not a 3/4 guy, I really recommend you try it. Cancels out ambient noise so you can hear your bike, is not sweaty in the summer, and doesn't lift at freeway speeds if sized right.

I won't flame, but I've posted this thought in another thread and few times here on the board:

ALL HELMETS look kinda goofy. From the tiny novelty beanies, to huge Snell approved full faces. To me, that means 1. We shouldn't worry about looks so much when it comes to a helmet because they all look kinda silly. 2. Might as well just pick a decent DOT approved lid that you like instead of worrying about things like an extra inch of padding on the crown.

Anywho, off my soapbox now. Hope you find a helmet you like. That was the Bell 500 for me.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 06-01-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a large head. I never found a helmet that I really liked the look of until I bought the Harley hybrid spoiler half helmet.

No more mushroom head, no more wind pulling up on my chin strap.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I remember a Bell helmet ad from years ago. If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet! True! JR

Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

That kind of crap is what gives law enforcement a bad image in general. Giving tickets to all the friggin MORONS that are the phone, don't use turn signals, etc. would be a more beneficial use of time.

@Hotrodz: He asked for opinions and ideas. In here, when you do that you're open to all sorts of responses. Get off your smug high horse yourself. Don't like it, don't look.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If appearance is your concern, get a full-faced. You won't look any better, but at least folks won't be able to tell who you are.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:55 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
That kind of crap is what gives law enforcement a bad image in general. Giving tickets to all the friggin MORONS that are the phone, don't use turn signals, etc. would be a more beneficial use of time.
LOL! Everyone else deserves a ticket but not me! Priceless!

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket