General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
I was born in East LA and spent about 30 of 50 years in CA. I'm there now!

Prior to CA's mandatory helmet laws, motorcycle registration was between 550,000 - 750,000 per year. Immediately following the mandatory helmet law, registration dropped significantly and in 1995 was 525,000. So loosing 225,000 bikes on the road is pretty significant to the economy. lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/TruthAboutHelmetLaws.pdf‎ (p. 11.)

(p. 11.) ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Towards Education) made the following estimates of what this amended law repealing mandatory helmet laws has brought into the economy of Florida:
§ 40,000 new motorcycles at an average of $10,000 each: $400,000,000
§ Sales tax on motorcycles at 6%: $24,000,000
§ Registration fees on motorcycles: $1,444,000
§ Change of titles fees: $1,190,000
§ Total: $426,634,000

Using the same numbers, California's economy lost out on $2,666,462,500 a year with mandatory helmet laws.

Additionally, empirical evidence shows that States with better rider training and no mandatory helmet law have a lower fatality rate than states with not so good training and a mandatory helmet law. ( See link)

All of this is premised upon the link sited.
I didn't read the ABATE study. How did they determine those dollar amounts? Was it a guess? Did they conduct a poll asking people what their plans were regarding motorcycle purchases? And did they determine what else people would have done with their money/transportation needs?

Even if people didn't buy/ride motorcycles, did they sit home and not spend their money elsewhere? Or did they spend their money on 'cages', sales tax, registration, etc.? This 'study' has far too many unknown, and really unable to be known, variables to be possible.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did a search and in 2011 there are now 818,600 motorcycles registered in cal.
That's a lot of helmets.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been riding for 45 years and have read motorcycle forums since the old dial up message boards. The HD forum is the only place I have seen guys so vain talking about mushroom heads and the way they look. Any other bike forum would laugh you off the group if you post about the way you look wearing a helmet. It doesn't make your *** look big, it makes you look like a big ***.

Wear a helmet or not, I don't care. Don't try to BS me about if they can save your life. A friend and coworker hit a deer two years ago. His helmet sits in the office for show and tell. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell his life would have ended that day without the helmet. As it is I still have a riding buddy.

If you know and accept the risk I'm ok with whatever you do. The ones that make me cringe are the riders and passengers that do not understand the consequences of riding with no gear if you go down.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I didn't read the ABATE study. How did they determine those dollar amounts? Was it a guess? Did they conduct a poll asking people what their plans were regarding motorcycle purchases? And did they determine what else people would have done with their money/transportation needs?
The ABATE study was based upon the decline of motorcycle sales upon enactment of the mandatory helmet law. That amount being 40,000 sales. The rest I don't know. I am well aware that someone in the know can make anything sound legit through statistics.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
rat_trap
Cruiser

Well, if looks don't matter, I think this comes with impact airbag neck and body pouches for maximum safety:

Or another option if you don't care about the mushroom head look and simply desire the highest level of noggin protection while you ride your motorcycle:

Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LucyOnBlack
The biggest hint I can give you is when examining the helmet, the liner inside (here in Canada anyways) has to be a certain thickness of padding... HOWEVER the padding is not required in the top, only the sides.
The best helmet I found has no padding to speak of in the top (just liner), with the standard... believe inch around the sides.
With no padding in the top other than liner, the helmet sits/pulls down. It is incredible the difference in look. You don't have the big dome look of helmets that sit and ride high on your head. The pull on your neck of having the wind catcher egg head is to a minimum.

I was given the name of many a helmet, however when I discovered the trick of no padding in the top... I found the closest to perfect helmet that doesn't look too bad. Still not a beanie... but the best we'll get with the new laws.
First no helmet without padding in the top will meet DOT and SNELL standards. DOT is required in the US. What safety rating does your helmet have?

Second, if a helmet is designed properly, there is hardly a wind catcher.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
I was born in East LA and spent about 30 of 50 years in CA. I'm there now!

Prior to CA's mandatory helmet laws, motorcycle registration was between 550,000 - 750,000 per year. Immediately following the mandatory helmet law, registration dropped significantly and in 1995 was 525,000. So loosing 225,000 bikes on the road is pretty significant to the economy. lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/TruthAboutHelmetLaws.pdf‎ (p. 11.)

ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Towards Education) made the following estimates of what this amended law repealing mandatory helmet laws has brought into the economy of Florida:
§ 40,000 new motorcycles at an average of $10,000 each: $400,000,000
§ Sales tax on motorcycles at 6%: $24,000,000
§ Registration fees on motorcycles: $1,444,000
§ Change of titles fees: $1,190,000
§ Total: $426,634,000

(p. 11.)

Using the same numbers, California's economy lost out on $2,666,462,500 a year with mandatory helmet laws.

Additionally, empirical evidence shows that States with better rider training and no mandatory helmet law have a lower fatality rate than states with not so good training and a mandatory helmet law. ( See link)

All of this is premised upon the link sited.
All these "it cost or saved xxx dollars for the state" statistics are total BS. What did the good people of California do with those motorcycle dollars they "lost". Did they burn them up, stuff them under a mattress, or did they more than likely spend them elsewhere in the state? I'm guessing they spent those dollars. The state didn't lose dollars, the consumer simply spent those dollars elsewhere besides in the motorcycle industry. Repeal the law and maybe the motorcycle dollars go up, but something else is going down. Maybe ATV sales. Maybe boat sales. Maybe fast food. Who knows, but the dollars weren't lost.

How do states with good training and helmet laws stack up? It doesn't have to be either or. You can have both.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
First no helmet without padding in the top will meet DOT and SNELL standards. DOT is required in the US. What safety rating does your helmet have?

Second, if a helmet is designed properly, there is hardly a wind catcher.
"Meets or exceeds" Dot FMVSS 218 Model D.O.T Beanie Made in India manufactured May 2010

Pass's here in canada

Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by gus4440
I have been riding for 45 years and have read motorcycle forums since the old dial up message boards. The HD forum is the only place I have seen guys so vain talking about mushroom heads and the way they look. Any other bike forum would laugh you off the group if you post about the way you look wearing a helmet. It doesn't make your *** look big, it makes you look like a big ***.

Wear a helmet or not, I don't care. Don't try to BS me about if they can save your life. A friend and coworker hit a deer two years ago. His helmet sits in the office for show and tell. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell his life would have ended that day without the helmet. As it is I still have a riding buddy.

If you know and accept the risk I'm ok with whatever you do. The ones that make me cringe are the riders and passengers that do not understand the consequences of riding with no gear if you go down.

I have witnessed death with a helmet! I have survived with and without, I think it should be your choice and you should be educated about what may or may not happen, have the necessary financial capability so we the rest of the people don't have to take care of your butt for the rest of your life should you become permanently incapacitated.

To me it is about the government telling me what to do more than anything else. Right or wrong in anyone else's eyes.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Outlaw still has some that are dot approved, this is where I got mine. I don't have to wear one but I do.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Outlaw-Helmets/2/131.html

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket