General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a sock on mine.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every DOT 1/2 lid I have tried on gives that mushroom head look-your not going to get away from that, but some do not look as bad as others. Also like was said the Bell 500 3/4's have a nice low profile and old schools looks. I have tired one on and it was not bad. The Bell 500's do seem to run a size big. All my helmets are size M, but the size S fit me the best in the Bell.

Look I understand that the OP is pissed for getting a ticket and I agree that it seems cops should be doing better things with their time, but they don't so if you are going to have something illlegal then at some point you will get busted. I'm gald OH is not a helmet law state. I'm not a fan of seat betls, but we have click it or ticket so I click it. If we were a helmet law state I would wear one all the time instead of now and then.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
All helmets are pretty much rendered useless in a high speed crash. .
Totally false. You don't watch much racing, do you?

Originally Posted by DPelletier
False. This is a common misconception, but a proper helmet can and often will save lives in a high speed crash; I've seen several crashes over 50mph and people have walked away....it happens. The idea that a helmet is only going to help you at slow speeds is bunk.

Dave
x100

Originally Posted by Jake911
In other states, new motorcycle sales dropped 41% in Nebraska, 36% in Oregon, and 20% in Texas in the first full year following enactment of their mandatory helmet laws. www.cmtabate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/helmet_law_facts.pdf‎

In most states the Death to Accident Ratio (DAR) averages between 2% to 3% both before and after helmet laws have been enacted. (See above link).

The reason there was a reduction in motorcycle fatalities after the passing of helemt laws is only because the number of riders declined. (Again, see above link.) But given your 32% decrease in fatalities, and a decrease of motorcycle registrations was actually 42%, the percentage of fatalities actually increased with mandatory helmet laws in NE. The same is generally true in all other states that enact helmet laws.

Doctors and nurses would not be effected because motorcycle injuries are only about .001% of all vehicle accidents. (Again, see above link.)

Peace.
Nice spin. You think helmet laws affect motorcycle sales? Ever been to California?

You're contesting whether or not they are effective at saving lives or preventing injury? Really?

Originally Posted by BKMC18Radio
I have been working as a firefighter for over 13 years and have worked many wrecks. I dont like to wear a helmet and that is my choice. Again its my choice I think it should be the riders choice. Maybe I dont want to be laid up in the hosp draining my family dry while the DR and hospital keep me alive with all there machines. I look at the quality of life issue. Its mine and its my choice.
Hilarious, what makes you think you have a choice being on a machine NOT wearing a helmet?

Originally Posted by bhaxton
Helmets aren't for everyone. I've got a prosthetic disc in my neck. Mt surgeon tells me not to wear a helmet. The added weight in a mild accident would do major damage because of the added weight. What can I say, I'm unique.
Him, better not drive either? Yep, you're unique and it doesn't apply to the spirit of the discussion.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Nice spin. You think helmet laws affect motorcycle sales? Ever been to California?
I was born in East LA and spent about 30 of 50 years in CA. I'm there now!

Prior to CA's mandatory helmet laws, motorcycle registration was between 550,000 - 750,000 per year. Immediately following the mandatory helmet law, registration dropped significantly and in 1995 was 525,000. So loosing 225,000 bikes on the road is pretty significant to the economy. lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/TruthAboutHelmetLaws.pdf‎ (p. 11.)

ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Towards Education) made the following estimates of what this amended law repealing mandatory helmet laws has brought into the economy of Florida:
§ 40,000 new motorcycles at an average of $10,000 each: $400,000,000
§ Sales tax on motorcycles at 6%: $24,000,000
§ Registration fees on motorcycles: $1,444,000
§ Change of titles fees: $1,190,000
§ Total: $426,634,000

(p. 11.)

Using the same numbers, California's economy lost out on $2,666,462,500 a year with mandatory helmet laws.

Additionally, empirical evidence shows that States with better rider training and no mandatory helmet law have a lower fatality rate than states with not so good training and a mandatory helmet law. ( See link)

All of this is premised upon the link sited.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
They seemed to have recovered nicely since the helmet legislation. They had roughly 25K-28K and now it tops 50K. They also have an average of 10 fatalities per year versus 18 before helmets and registrations are roughly double what they were previously. Your 42% wasn't in Nebraska. See my link.

Well someones authority is incorrect. I do have a tendency to trust independent sources rather that State of Federal sources since the latter two have been less than truthful in just about everything.

Ever read the book, "Lying Through Statistics?"

Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

I was born in East LA and spent about 30 of 50 years in CA. I'm there now!

Prior to CA's mandatory helmet laws, motorcycle registration was between 550,000 - 750,000 per year. Immediately following the mandatory helmet law, registration dropped significantly and in 1995 was 525,000. So loosing 225,000 bikes on the road is pretty significant to the economy. lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/TruthAboutHelmetLaws.pdf‎ (p. 11.)

ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Towards Education) made the following estimates of what this amended law repealing mandatory helmet laws has brought into the economy of Florida:
§ 40,000 new motorcycles at an average of $10,000 each: $400,000,000
§ Sales tax on motorcycles at 6%: $24,000,000
§ Registration fees on motorcycles: $1,444,000
§ Change of titles fees: $1,190,000
§ Total: $426,634,000

(p. 11.)

Using the same numbers, California's economy lost out on $2,666,462,500 a year with mandatory helmet laws.

Additionally, empirical evidence shows that States with better rider training and no mandatory helmet law have a lower fatality rate than states with not so good training and a mandatory helmet law. ( See link)

All of this is premised upon the link sited.
It's rididiculous because it was almost 20 years ago, takes nothing else into account and doesn't look forward all the way to present day.

Helmet laws stopped a few idiots, not many. Show me "better" rider training from state to state, I'm curious.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Totally false. You don't watch much racing, do you?

x100

You're contesting whether or not they are effective at saving lives or preventing injury? Really?

Hilarious, what makes you think you have a choice being on a machine NOT wearing a helmet?

Him, better not drive either? Yep, you're unique and it doesn't apply to the spirit of the discussion.
I do watch racing and I've yet to see Nicky Haden hit a bus or a semi while racing on a closed course.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tony P
I do watch racing and I've yet to see Nicky Haden hit a bus or a semi while racing on a closed course.
Well there's that! But some have hit walls, and then there is that pesky pavement that is always present.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't feel like going through the whole thread.... I hate the look of the new helmets. YES I wear helmets as with my gear and my bike, with looks in mind.

I don't have spikes on my bike for the danger of getting ripped apart as a buddy did, however I don't have crash bars, they don't suit in my mind the look of the bike... but I wear chaps at all times, gloves, jacket and real boots.... no matter how freakin hot it is.

We all have the give or take system. Riding is a friggin risk.

Choosing a helmet has been a challenge. I've bought a few trying to get legal. Full face of where I live is out as I don't have bugs the size of freight trains. Bandana's work fine to hold the sting of a down pour.

The biggest hint I can give you is when examining the helmet, the liner inside (here in Canada anyways) has to be a certain thickness of padding... HOWEVER the padding is not required in the top, only the sides.
The best helmet I found has no padding to speak of in the top (just liner), with the standard... believe inch around the sides.
With no padding in the top other than liner, the helmet sits/pulls down. It is incredible the difference in look. You don't have the big dome look of helmets that sit and ride high on your head. The pull on your neck of having the wind catcher egg head is to a minimum.

I was given the name of many a helmet, however when I discovered the trick of no padding in the top... I found the closest to perfect helmet that doesn't look too bad. Still not a beanie... but the best we'll get with the new laws.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Prior to CA's mandatory helmet laws, motorcycle registration was between 550,000 - 750,000 per year. Immediately following the mandatory helmet law, registration dropped significantly and in 1995 was 525,000. So loosing 225,000 bikes on the road is pretty significant to the economy.
I like this part, especially in the spirit of "lying through statistics". You say that registrations were between 550,000 and 750,000, but when they dropped to 525,000 it HAD to be about helmets and it HAD to be a drop of 225,000 as opposed to 25,000.

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket