General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question/ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Flinter
I have a large head. I never found a helmet that I really liked the look of until I bought the Harley hybrid spoiler half helmet.

No more mushroom head, no more wind pulling up on my chin strap.
I love my Harley Hybrid Spoiler half-helmet, but mostly I wear my Shoei full face with a gold visor. In fact, if you're concerned about appearances, use a full face helmet, this way no one will know that it's you looking (presumably) like a dork.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Full face? Get the Biltwell Gringo..... stylish & cool...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

[QUOTE=Coastal CVO;11370928]I was run over by a pickup truck on the 405 with no helmet at age 18, I was partying that night.

Let's not confuse luck with safety![/QUOTE]

You were run over without a helmet and lived. I would say that was lucky!

If you run head on into a Greyhound bus at over 50 mph, you're still dead no matter what's on your head. If you're lucky, a FF helmet will allow you an open casket.

I'm not against helmets, but I want it to be my choice. If the OP wants a DOT that doesn't make him look like Dark Helmet from the movie Spaceballs, then that's his chopice.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony P;11371641]
Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
I was run over by a pickup truck on the 405 with no helmet at age 18, I was partying that night.

Let's not confuse luck with safety![/QUOTE]

You were run over without a helmet and lived. I would say that was lucky!

If you run head on into a Greyhound bus at over 50 mph, you're still dead no matter what's on your head. If you're lucky, a FF helmet will allow you an open casket.

I'm not against helmets, but I want it to be my choice. If the OP wants a DOT that doesn't make him look like Dark Helmet from the movie Spaceballs, then that's his chopice.
I can agree with that.

Yes run over without a helmet on a Triumph 650 Trophy with a 12 over springer front, Harley rim laced onto the triumph hub, coffin tank all tastefully done in black and chrome. (1976) on the 405 on my way to T.O. for fun with a cute blond. I made it, we partied. Still here.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I just ordered a Daytona skull cap that has a DOT sticker and will see what it looks like in comparison to my mushroom HD helmet soon. In PA you don't need a helmet but wife and kids are worth it so I will have something that is partially safe and partially not bad looking....

Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
Don't beleive that for a second, but many do drink the coolade. In Nebraska, the government paid for all uninsured mototcycle injury hospital care. Not the insurance companies. In fact, when a state enacted a mandatory helmet law that state lost millions of dollars and hundreds of jobs due to the decline in motorcycle sales, repairs and related employment. In Nebraska the sales dropped 48% when mandatory helmet laws were enacted. A study at the University of North Carolina also confirmed that motorcycle accidents do not increase the insurance rates of others on the road.
I looked up some stuff and it seems the only one handing out any cool aid is YOU!

Sales declined? Seems to have had a remarkable recovery. There were only 8K less registrations in 89 when the law was enacted. It took "hundreds" of people to sell and service those 8K bikes and "millions" of dollars?
http://www.transportation.nebraska.g.../pdf/mcreg.pdf

As far as who paid what, it seems no matter who paid, there was a lot less of it happening. Nebraska saved over 10 million in medical costs. Don't believe it? Look it up. It's true. After Nebraska instituted the helmet law, motorcycle crash fatalities dropped to an average of 10 per year. In fact, Nebraska had a 32% reduction in motorcycle fatalities in the first year of the helmet law. Injuries were reduced a similar amount and that equals medical bills. Are you going to argue that the helmet law also put a lot of doctors and nurses out on the street?
http://www.disabilityrightsnebraska....b_article.html

Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

If you just want lawful compliance and not necessarily safety their is another option: Buy a helmet that it too small and compress the styrofoam until it fits.

DOT certified is the standard. Don't let the helmet ***** talk you into a fullface unless that's what YOU want. An unmodified half helmet will provide almost the same level of protection from brain trauma as a full face. Your face just may not be as pretty as it would be in a full face.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I looked up some stuff and it seems the only one handing out any cool aid is YOU!

Sales declined? Seems to have had a remarkable recovery. There were only 8K less registrations in 89 when the law was enacted. It took "hundreds" of people to sell and service those 8K bikes and "millions" of dollars?
http://www.transportation.nebraska.g.../pdf/mcreg.pdf

As far as who paid what, it seems no matter who paid, there was a lot less of it happening. Nebraska saved over 10 million in medical costs. Don't believe it? Look it up. It's true. After Nebraska instituted the helmet law, motorcycle crash fatalities dropped to an average of 10 per year. In fact, Nebraska had a 32% reduction in motorcycle fatalities in the first year of the helmet law. Injuries were reduced a similar amount and that equals medical bills. Are you going to argue that the helmet law also put a lot of doctors and nurses out on the street?
http://www.disabilityrightsnebraska....b_article.html

In other states, new motorcycle sales dropped 41% in Nebraska, 36% in Oregon, and 20% in Texas in the first full year following enactment of their mandatory helmet laws. www.cmtabate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/helmet_law_facts.pdf‎

In most states the Death to Accident Ratio (DAR) averages between 2% to 3% both before and after helmet laws have been enacted. (See above link).

The reason there was a reduction in motorcycle fatalities after the passing of helemt laws is only because the number of riders declined. (Again, see above link.) But given your 32% decrease in fatalities, and a decrease of motorcycle registrations was actually 42%, the percentage of fatalities actually increased with mandatory helmet laws in NE. The same is generally true in all other states that enact helmet laws.

Doctors and nurses would not be effected because motorcycle injuries are only about .001% of all vehicle accidents. (Again, see above link.)

Peace.

Attached Thumbnails helmet question/ticket-coolaide.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM
BKMC18Radio
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working as a firefighter for over 13 years and have worked many wrecks. I dont like to wear a helmet and that is my choice. Again its my choice I think it should be the riders choice. Maybe I dont want to be laid up in the hosp draining my family dry while the DR and hospital keep me alive with all there machines. I look at the quality of life issue. Its mine and its my choice.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
In other states, new motorcycle sales dropped 41% in Nebraska, 36% in Oregon, and 20% in Texas in the first full year following enactment of their mandatory helmet laws. www.cmtabate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/helmet_law_facts.pdf‎

In most states the Death to Accident Ratio (DAR) averages between 2% to 3% both before and after helmet laws have been enacted. (See above link).

The reason there was a reduction in motorcycle fatalities after the passing of helemt laws is only because the number of riders declined. (Again, see above link.) But given your 32% decrease in fatalities, and a decrease of motorcycle registrations was actually 42%, the percentage of fatalities actually increased with mandatory helmet laws in NE. The same is generally true in all other states that enact helmet laws.

Doctors and nurses would not be effected because motorcycle injuries are only about .001% of all vehicle accidents. (Again, see above link.)

Peace.
Excellent comeback true dat!! well said and true.

Quick Reply: helmet question/ticket