General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley extended warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Just had my 2010 StreetGlide in for a new set of rubber. Also noticed the left front fork was leaking after a recent run thru the Rockies. My ESP paid for the fork seal repair bill of $399 and also got me a new voltmeter because mine was acting funky. So far I have recovered about $800 of my initial "investment" in the 7 year ESP. With 38K on the clock I still have four years left. I am pretty sure I will either break even or come out ahead, especially if I have anything major that comes up. So far its been piddly **** to fix but with the dealer's sky high labor rates, its saving me a bundle.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SR90;11386319]Sales guy I've been talking to stated the 2 year manufacturer's warranty only covers manufacturing defects, while the ESP covers everything, like a bumper to bumper warranty. They run concurrently so you buy a new bike with say a 3 year ESP you are covered for 3 years total.

First I'd like to know if the above is true.

My original warranty expires end of this month. I am thinking about purchasing a 3 year ESP.
I thought that would give me 3 MORE years!
Also, installed Rush pipes and Stage 1 air filter and had it tuned. All of this done at dealer.
I heard modifications void the ESP for anything related to modifications, meaning the engine.
Is this true?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The ESP is not a warranty, it's an extended service plan. It doesn't follow the same rules as a warranty.

If you read the ESP before you sign, Section 6 Non covered Conditions, paragraph 15: Your motorcycle if it has been modified with any alterations to the powertrain, the suspension (including wheel and tire size) and/or exhaust system not approved by Harley-Davidson.

In my experience what parts that can be modified will vary dealer to dealer. If you breakdown and go to your home dealer they might cover everything, but while on a road trip, that dealer might not cover it. By the terms in the ESP if you have any "off road use only" parts installed the ESP can be terminated.

If your exhaust system is not EPA legal, your ESP could be terminated. Once a dealer puts it in the computer that your bike is not covered because of modifications, the ESP is void.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a post not long ago in one of the esp threads where an indy mechanic stated he did a repair under the esp on a bike that had a stage 4 kit the esp provider knew this. They only paid for the motor to be put back to stock condition (cant expect more than that imo)

If the esp was voided by doing a stage 1 and a tuner it would be all over the forums.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From a past post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post10598146

Originally Posted by acman308
There was a post not long ago in one of the esp threads where an indy mechanic stated he did a repair under the esp on a bike that had a stage 4 kit the esp provider knew this. They only paid for the motor to be put back to stock condition (cant expect more than that imo)

If the esp was voided by doing a stage 1 and a tuner it would be all over the forums.
Originally Posted by Glockmeister

I’m getting ready to do some work on the scooter and my big hold back has been the effect it might have on the ESP. I have 5 years left, so I pulled out the paperwork and found the phone number at the bottom (here it is for the lazy guys/gals 800-527-7665 ex 411). I chose not to identify myself to him because I didn’t want my contract flagged; he just laughed but was willing to help. Heres the questions I asked and the answers I got:

Q) I do my own service; will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) You have to perform the maintenance as recommended by HD and keep the records by keep the receipts for the material and writing on them the date and mileage of each service. Keeping that stuff logged in the Owner’s Manual helps too.

Q) If I use a cleanable/reusable oil filter will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) We go by the manufacturer’s recommendation on those. If the manufacturer does not have a problem then we accept that, but if they do we will too.

Q) I want to do new cams, how does this affect my warranty?

A) If the cams come from HD and are not racing cams no harm to the ESP. The cams have to comply with the EPA so careful selection of HD stage two cams is ok.

Q) I want to change my exhaust head pipe; will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) So you want to get rid of the Cat? That’s ok as long as you comply with the EPA.

Q) I want to put a fuel tuner in the bike, will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) HD has the SE turner that is compliant with the EPA and will not void the ESP but others like Thudermax and Power Commander will void the coverage.

Q) I want to put a trailer hitch on the bike for towing a trailer, will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) Yes, installation of a trailer hitch will void the coverage immediately and without exception. The bikes are not designed for towing and it adds too much stress to every component.

Q) If I make a change that voids coverage, and the contract is canceled by HD will I be compensated for the remaining contract life?

A) Yes, you will be given a refund for any prorated time period remaining.

The guy was very friendly, helpful, and answered questions without any hesitation.

Thought I would share.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
mlastra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

\

Me being new to Harley would probably buy the extended plan.