General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley extended warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

No one said math would be on this thread.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Please post the bill for that $5,000 dollar warranty work. I dont believe it either.
I find it pretty hard to beleive too but that said.

I don't beleive the guy saying that the harley authorized esp didn't cover parts that are plainly stated as covered in the paperwork and brochures.....
Not to mention calling Harley corporate would do didly squat since they dont sell the esp just license it.

Some people want to hate as much as others overstate how great it is.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
messed up
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

02 has done good. What I've repaired has been cheap, working on and servicing them is a part of riding and the only way you learn.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
tmsimmon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes it is....

Originally Posted by toku58
Hey what's everyones opinion about the Harley extended warranty? The dealer wants $2,500.00 for 7 yrs. Is that worth it??
I have an 2009 and it is crap in and out of the shop. Older Harleys don't have the problems, my starter came apart and it cost 1820.00 to repair, I've had friends with 6 speed transmission issues, my cam chain tentioner wore out at 13,000. I had a bad 02 sensor. If you ride and don't wrench get it if you wrench your call, if it just sits in the garage again your call. But I would get it until they start making them better again. The radio is ~ 1000 on the Ultra. Oh wait, not covered! hehehe, life can be cruel, I will say being 1,600 miles from home, it sucks when you break down. Electrical issues can add up trying to figure out what pin is bad on those connectors can run into time. I think the Sacramento HD Labor rates are 120.00 hr.

Last edited by tmsimmon; 06-07-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sales guy I've been talking to stated the 2 year manufacturer's warranty only covers manufacturing defects, while the ESP covers everything, like a bumper to bumper warranty. They run concurrently so you buy a new bike with say a 3 year ESP you are covered for 3 years total.

First I'd like to know if the above is true.

Secondly...
Let's say at the 18 month mark you blow up the tranny. Harley might say it was not caused by a manufacturing defect so it's not covered. Would the ESP cover it for a $50 deductible? Would this be considered a wear item same as tires and light bulbs?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 AM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SR90
Sales guy I've been talking to stated the 2 year manufacturer's warranty only covers manufacturing defects, while the ESP covers everything, like a bumper to bumper warranty. They run concurrently so you buy a new bike with say a 3 year ESP you are covered for 3 years total.

First I'd like to know if the above is true.

Secondly...
Let's say at the 18 month mark you blow up the tranny. Harley might say it was not caused by a manufacturing defect so it's not covered. Would the ESP cover it for a $50 deductible? Would this be considered a wear item same as tires and light bulbs?
My buddy did just that to his street bob back in september iirc it cost him $50 .......... i "think" they said the bill would have been $2900 had he paid.

Talked to a guy tonight who i absolutely beleive got denied on an esp claim for motor trouble because he had a trailer hitch on his UC .... It plainly states that voids your warranty/esp and they pointed it out when i bought the esp.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acman308
My buddy did just that to his street bob back in september iirc it cost him $50 .......... i "think" they said the bill would have been $2900 had he paid.

Talked to a guy tonight who i absolutely beleive got denied on an esp claim for motor trouble because he had a trailer hitch on his UC .... It plainly states that voids your warranty/esp and they pointed it out when i bought the esp.
H-D ESP, Section 6, Para 2: Any loss or expense if your motorcycle is used or equipped for towing...

Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

It's all in how you negotiate. Got my 7 year with tire and wheel for $1,790. That's basically $255 per year.... less than $1 per day. I'd say that's a good investment. Already picked up a nail in my front tire before 1K service and replaced with new free of charge. That is minor but for less than $1 per day I am very happy having the insurance. I also prefer to give the business to my local dealer who appreciates my business and knows me by name because I bring my business to him. As a business owner myself I know the value of a repeat customer and for me to be on a friendly basis with my dealer goes a long way into getting things done. They give me great service and helpful advice. Have even talked me out of some add ons that they felt would not work out.

Now if your dealer is unwilling to budge on the ext warranty price then you have to shop around. Fortunately my dealer is a fair businessman and because of that he gets tons of repeat customers and his shop is always hopping. I know my dealer made a few bucks on the ext warranty but that is only fair as that is his business, but he did not have to make a killing like some try to do

Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Great way to look at it. Especially if you're not mechanically inclined such as myself

Originally Posted by BLMC
Let’s say your new Harley will be 99.9% reliable. Therefore, the likelihood of breakdown is .01%
99.9% reliability = .001
You keep your bike for 5 years (5 yrs x 365 = 1,825 + 1 leap day = 1,826)
1,826 x .001 = 1.826 days likely breakdown --- Call it 2 days over 5 years

2 days = 8 x 2 = 16 hours labor
Service time – hourly rate $110 x labor hours 16 = $1760 labor
(that’s now – what about in 5 years??)
Parts cost – general rule, parts are 1.25 – 1.5 times per 1 hour labor – let’s just use 1 to 1 - $1760 parts
$1760 labor + $1760 parts = $3520
Even if you do the labor yourself, you are still looking at $1760

I paid $1650 for an additional 5 years plus wheel and tire coverage. Today I took my bike in for it's 25,000 mile service. In addition, they replaced warped rotors, replaced the broken cruise control switch, and took care of a transmission door leak. The additional work represented a savings in parts and labor of $850 to me and I still have 4 years of coverage remaining.

Doesn't seem like much of a gamble to me, more like a sure thing.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Flood insurance is expensive. My Dad's house got flooded by the last two hurricanes ( Irene and Sandy ). If it hadn't flooded, I'd be complaining about the insurance premiums. My bike is about two years old, still has problems, still under extended warranty. If I had the crystal ball.............

Quick Reply: Harley extended warranty??