General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley extended warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No, it doesn't force you to go to an authorized dealer

Originally Posted by Jake911
When you buy a warranty plan are you required to do all the service and scheduled maintenance at a HD dealer? I am also sure the warranty does not cover damage caused by an aftermarket part or ungraded HD part that is not installed by HD, right?

If so, and you like being your own wrench, I think you need to add the additional service fees for regular maintenance at the dealer since it is a cost you would not incur but for the warranty.

I don't know, I've always bought from a PP.
for your service. You can either have an independent do the service or you can do them yourself, but you need to keep all your receipts of the supplies and make note of the dates of when you did the service and sign them. As far as aftermarket stuff goes, the only time you can be refused warranty is if the aftermarket stuff you installed caused the problem.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Watch Guy. Seems like reasonable conditions. I would have thought HD was much more draconian in denying warranty coverage the way some posts are around here.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Nitschke
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, the MoCo offers no extended warranty plan beyond the standard two year warranty. Any extended warranties would be from a dealer or other provider.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM
brownfoxx1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paid $1500.00 for my '09 triglide.IMO its wirth it.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I bought a 3 year extended warranty on my Ultra when new. It kicked in when the factory warranty expired. Since then, the money I might have spent on repairs was about the same as the cost of the warranty. A "wash" in other words. If there were a catastrophic failure like a broken crankshaft or something, it would've paid for itself.

My warranty issues were a new stator, inner primary bearing, IDS bearings, and fairing brackets.

Your choice.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original warranty expires in 2 weeks. Must I decide before then to purchase extended warranty? Is getting just another year possible? If so, any idea of price?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
renn788
Intermediate

I thought everything that the failed part took out should be covered also I took it all the way up to Harley headquarters and the waranty underwriters. looks like there is a clause that states collateral damage is not covered. Believe me I went round and round with them and lost
on top of that if a non covered part fails and takes out a covered part it's not covered either.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Rokdktr
6th Gear

I put the 5 year on my new FXDF. it was $1700ish Cdn. Not bad for full piece of mind, and it's transferrabl;e should I choose to get a bagger a couple years down the road.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a lot of you guys don't like the extended warranty. I finally used mine this week for an electrical issue while on a trip. 1600 miles from home, in Santa Fe, the bill that was presented to me was $5139 and it cost me $50 deductible.

I knew it would eventually happen.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

No. Put the money in savings. A new 103 is $4000.00. After you put the the money in savings, just add 100.00 per month to it. In seven years that's $8,400.00. Now if during that time you have a break down you have the money to fix about anything. Your chances of that are slim if you take care of your bike. I'll bet for every ten Harleys that have the extended warranty, maybe one uses it. Now you will get guys on here who will swear you have to have it cause they needed it. My thought is if Harley needs to sell a warranty, then their bike is not worth what they are asking for them and you should go buy a Honda. Now for the initial $2,500 bucks they want for the warranty, I'd sooner put it towards the principle of your loan if you financed. Just some thoughts.

Quick Reply: Harley extended warranty??