General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first time Harley buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
kennywayne
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time Harley buyer?

Hey everybody, I am a first time Harley buyer. I really like road kings and fatboys, but I've also looked at some older pan/shovels. Do you think being a first time buyer I should stick with something newer? I checked out a 64 pan/shovel a really sweet bike that was in my price range. Can anyone tell me what I would be getting into purchasing an older model. I'd like to know the pro's and con's in buying a newer or a older bike. I've also looked at a couple of road kings, an 05, a 04 and a 02. Any advice would really help. Thanks alot.
Ken

Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: first time Harley buyer?

Purchase any year you want, however know what to look for or take it to a mechanic to look at first. It really depends on how the previous owner took care of it.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:06 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Kennywayne,

As an owner of several used bikes, I am buying new this year for the third time out of 8 purchases. All of used bikes with one exeption required more repair work than I would have liked. I enjoy working on used bikes and the whole restoration process. It's a gamble of course and ultimately your choice.

You never know what your getting with a used bike of course. Simple as that.

Good luck and congrats on your new bike, which ever one you choose =)

Old 02-23-2007, 04:29 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

I've had old Harleys (76 Sportster, 81 shovelhead) and new Harleys (97 Softail, 04 E-Glide and 07 Ultra) and I can tell you, you can't beat the feeling of a new bike. I liked them all but the new ones ride and perform better and require a lot less work.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going for image, get a Panhead or Shovelhead. If you want to enjoy the ride and not worry too much about the bike, get a Blockhead or Fathead.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you wanting the bike for? If you want somthing you can enjoy working on and restoring, go with the older bike. If you want to enjoy the ride on long trips and don't have much mechanical know how, get the newer bike. Either way enjoy!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you plan on ridingalot, get a Evo or newer. If you are mechanically inclined, love to tinker, and plan onriding around close to where you live, the Shovels and especially the Pans are a nice piece to have. If you want to go fast and your on a budget,buy another brand. No Offense to the people who have the old bikes, this is just my opinion that formed after owning / riding Harleys from 1961 and newer.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
kennywayne
5th Gear

does this sound like a good deal
2002 fatboy: custom paint, 2 into 1 pro-pipes lots of chrome 5,600 miles
$12,900

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kennywayne
does this sound like a good deal
2002 fatboy: custom paint, 2 into 1 pro-pipes lots of chrome 5,600 miles
$12,900
wow, one thousand miles a year! does it come with a "live to ride" derby cover? gotta love the (lightly) used market.

you mentioned you were looking to buy your first hd, but not how much experience you have with bikes in general, or how much mechanical interest and experience you have.

if you are new to bikes in general, or are not experienced mechanically, you would do well to have any bike you are interested in checked out by a knowledgeable friend, or an indy mechanic. a listing like the one you offer above could be a great deal, or it could be a salvaged/bodged/wasted bike. no way to tell without giving it a good exam. check the main history, look for evidence of wrecking, check compression, charging system, alignment.

that said, i have had great luck buying used bikes. there are lots of bike like the one you listed, with hardly any miles, some of which are in great condition.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
kennywayne
5th Gear

I have had alot of experience riding street bikes and a few years of dirt, this will be my first Harley. I am not much of a mechanic exept for your normal oil changes, so I would need something that I wouldn't have to tinker with to much.

Quick Reply: first time Harley buyer?