General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a rider today

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013 | 09:20 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I don't go around shooting people because I don't want to go to prison. So yes, I think if they knew there was going to be a really harsh punishment they would pay more attention.

When I hear of someone who said "I didn't see him" my brain translates that into "I didn't see him because I wasn't actually looking that hard".

Old 05-29-2013 | 09:36 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

If the responders knew he was a LEO, I would like to think they would have investigated for the use of a cell phone by the driver. They should do that in every case, of course.

As for "I didn't see him" do drivers, and riders for that matter, get to use that excuse for pedestrians? I think not.

Old 05-29-2013 | 12:46 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Condolences to the family and friends.
A very young man that was taken much too soon.

Drivers face a lot of distractions these days and we all need to slow down and take more time when entering intersections.

I was "bumped" at an intersection when I STOPPED at a STOP sign.
The lady who hit me said she didn't expect me to come to a complete stop?

I was riding my bike and got hit at an intersection crosswalk because the woman failed to come to a complete stop.
No bodily injury but my bike's front wheel was destroyed.

Old 05-29-2013 | 04:20 PM
Louderisbetter
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Seriously? If you've been riding for a while, you'd understand just how many drivers don't see bikes. Sure, too many of them are distracted, but others can be looking you straight in the eye and still not see you.

It's best to ride like you're invisible, because to so many bad drivers on the road, guess what, you are invisible.

To the officer and his family, deepest sympathy.
Yes..."seriously"....I refuse to accept " I just didn't see him" as an excuse. Distractions are everywhere and failing to give your full attention to the road is why "I just didn't see him". I doubt the rider dropped from the sky or magically appeared there.
Sorry, just don't accept it as an excuse. As its very sad because it could have been prevented

Old 05-29-2013 | 07:02 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Sorry for the rider and his family. However, everyone jumps straight to texting, easy enough to find our if she was using her phone.
The reality is, yes they all see a motorcycle, but it does not registered in thier brain as a threat. Therefore, thier brain never says to stop. Their eyes do see us but thier brain drops the image, the same as your brain drops background noises, like wind.
There is no real way to fix the problem, other than lots more motorcycles on the road, so people's brains adjust to looking for us.
When I got back from Iraq, I noticed everything on the side of the road, I would say something to my wife, and she did not notice most of it. I drive down the road and see deer all the time, I ask my wife if she saw the deer, she says "nope". Her eyes sees everything I do but her brain drops the images, I am simply looking for it.

Old 05-29-2013 | 09:13 PM
FatBuell
Road Warrior

Tough to hear and condolences to the family.

Unfortunately, you accept responsibility for your safety when you choose to ride something that's hard to see, and provides no protection in an accident. The accused motorist would argue all day that if the biker was in a cage, they would have seen them, the accident wouldn't have occurred, and the biker would still be alive.

Old 05-30-2013 | 12:06 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nubz
That's ok it was only a cop we can stand to have one less of those around
What a s**thead thing to say. Yr an ***.

Old 05-30-2013 | 12:36 AM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Apart from the obvious ucks up by Cagers (talking/texting on mobile phone), this may help you understand why they do not see us. I (think) got the link from another thread off this forum.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/

Old 05-30-2013 | 12:42 AM
Hayviator
Cruiser

I know our local TV stations are in the business of dumbing-down the masses, but this was not a "motorcycle crash". This was a traffic crash that happened to involve a motorcycle. Until we all get this differentiation it will remain a simple ticket to kill a motorcyclist.

Old 05-30-2013 | 12:45 AM
Hayviator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Xube
What a s**thead thing to say. Yr an ***.
Nubz stole his name from a sword-swallower on a failed reality show. What'ya expect?

Quick Reply: Lost a rider today