General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a rider today

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 11:49 AM
Simple Man
Cruiser

I absolutely hate texting and driving, but lets not forget all of the gadgets the automakers are putting in cars now. Nav systems, buttons, and readouts for MPG, etc. There is a lot to look at in the newer vehicles. Those are just as bad as looking at your phone.

When I started driving, i had an AM radio and no phone. The only distractions to driving I had to deal with was looking at girls.

Old 05-28-2013 | 11:49 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

If you "can't see" a motorcycle with it headlight on, then you are negligent and should be charged as such. I am sick and tired of failure to yield being the penalty for hitting a biker. It happens once or twice a week here in the greater Phoenix area.

Old 05-28-2013 | 12:12 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer

This isn't an excuse just used on motorcycles. In 93 I was in an accident, the woman who pulled out in front of me "didn't see me". I was driving about 50mph in a 45mph zone. She pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her, nearly drove over her. I was driving a 86 Dodge truck, it had a 6" suspension lift, body lift and 40 inch tires. She "didn't see me". I was not ticketed, she was very injured. It's scary to think, people really are just driving around, spaced out and clueless.

Old 05-28-2013 | 12:21 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain

I agree with bigdaddy33, in that you ride as if you were invisible. they just don't see you. condolences and prayers to both families.

Old 05-28-2013 | 01:54 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Old 05-28-2013 | 11:28 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Every fatality caused by a motor vehicle should be treated as a homicide. People don't see other vehicles because they don't look for other vehicles.

Old 05-29-2013 | 06:21 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Well God Bless the rider and his family...BUT, no charges filed...wtf...how about careless driving resulting in a fatality. How about vehicular manslaughter. How about if I accidently ran over the driver of that vehicle with my 1 ton pickup and killed them, could I just say I didn't see him and walk away with no negative impacts to me??? I don't think...so why is it different. Oh, that's right, it's Ok to kill people on motorcycles...No it's not! That's why they had vigilantes in the old days...The DA's in this country have their heads up their xxx. A POX on the suv driver and DA's private parts.

Old 05-29-2013 | 08:36 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

WS6---i had forgotton about that one. Excellent video. Most wont admit to not catching it though.

The truth is they dont see you. You cant make laws expecting people to change when they simply dont see somthing. You cant make or enforce laws when a person doesnt even know what to do to stop it. Is a person suppose to sit in jail thinking about something that he cannot change. Is anyone in here more aware because you have the threat of going to prison if you run someone over? I try not to run people over because i dont want to kill them and i dont want to be in an accident. Other people arent gonna think any differently either. Sending people to prison to "change" their behavior that they have no way of changing is absurd. Thinkiing the rest of the world will think twice because of prison when we ourselves dont is absurd.-------People run into 18 wheelers, into patrol cars and we cant be surprised when they dont see us either.

Old 05-29-2013 | 08:45 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

I don't go around shooting people because I don't want to go to prison. So yes, I think if they knew there was going to be a really harsh punishment they would pay more attention.

When I hear of someone who said "I didn't see him" my brain translates that into "I didn't see him because I wasn't actually looking that hard".

Old 05-29-2013 | 09:03 AM
Bayfield Cty. Biker
Cruiser
Default lst rider

Originally Posted by cm ride
So sad I feel bad for his family and friends. When will I just didn't see him no longer fly? No charges really!? How many riders have to die before a driver is held responsible?
Man, I have to agree with CM Rider. This "I didn't see them" thing has to stop being a acceptable excuse. Very sad for his family.

Quick Reply: Lost a rider today