General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a rider today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013 | 10:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

We know we're invisible but "I didn't see him" is a way overused and very weak excuse.

Old 05-27-2013 | 10:49 PM
SlimChance
Novice

My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the rider.

I was 14 years old in the mid 60s when I first went "invisible" and a lady pulled out in front of me and my little Yamaha 80cc. I flipped over the back of her little MG (thank goodness it was a little car) and managed to walk away with only bruises. She honestly just didn't "see me".

I ride a Fatboy now and it's a lot bigger than that little "yammerhammer" but I to non-riders I might as well be invisible (think stealth bomber, not on their radar).

I was lucky and learned a lesson....I have to ALWAYS watch out for them because they just don't see me

Old 05-27-2013 | 10:50 PM
45fan
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
We know we're invisible but "I didn't see him" is a way overused and very weak excuse.

Agreed! They need to start writing tickets for anyone with a phone in their hands while driving....and turn down the damn radio! Is that song or the latest news on snookie or whoever really worth killing someone?

Old 05-27-2013 | 10:57 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain

Godspeed to a fellow brother. People need to pull their heads outta their asses.

Old 05-27-2013 | 11:04 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

There should really be harsh punishment for "I didn't see him" accidents. This biker should not have been killed. It's a shame and it's senseless. He has a family, friends and co-workers who will have a hole left in their lives forever because of this.

A few weeks ago not too far from here a 16 year old kid "didn't see" a biker, pulled out in front of him and the biker was killed when he hit the truck. The kid got ticketed for failure to yield.

If drivers are sent to prison for manslaughter for "not seeing" bikers, they might actually start seeing us.

Old 05-28-2013 | 08:17 AM
C908
Road Warrior

It seems that society has created a problem that will be next to impossible to enforce. With all of the electronic devices being used while people are driving we have opened ourselves up to a whole new set of problems. Just the other night I heard on the news a young girl was killed. She had just got her license and pulled out in front of a big truck. They found a cell phone in her car with a text message that was being sent at the time of the accident.

Old 05-28-2013 | 08:36 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

"I did not see them" is a failure to yield. We don't deserve special laws because we make the choice to use transportation that makes us far more vulnerable. Then Matias and Smart car drivers will get special treatment as well well for their injuries and only those in Buicks with be safe.

Should another driver be MORE responsible for the same error because a biker chose not to wear a helmet. It is what it is. We are responsible for our OWN safety.100% of the time. THAT is the risk we take. We know the dangers and still take the risks. That could have been prevented IMO. Most Motorcycle get offs can be. More laws won;t solve a thing. the prisons are full of "more laws" and people are still hurt,

Last edited by TenMidgets; 05-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2013 | 09:08 AM
taygull
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
"I did not see them" is a failure to yield. We don't deserve special laws because we make the choice to use transportation that makes us far more vulnerable. Then Matias and Smart car drivers will get special treatment as well well for their injuries and only those in Buicks with be safe.

Should another driver be MORE responsible for the same error because a biker chose not to wear a helmet. It is what it is. We are responsible for our OWN safety.100% of the time. THAT is the risk we take. We know the dangers and still take the risks. That could have been prevented IMO. Most Motorcycle get offs can be. More laws won;t solve a thing. the prisons are full of "more laws" and people are still hurt,
Well...this dead officer was wearing a helmet...the skid marks indicate he did everything he could to stop and avoid the lady who pulled right out in front of him. Traffic was heavy...my daughter was 10-20 seconds behind him to the right...so he probably had no "out" as he was in the far left lane of a divided road which had 6 lanes, and most likely a car to his right...

Tell me how this is 100% his responsibility other then staying home...

Yes we take a risk...but I because we understand a wreck might have more consequences for us shouldn't let off the person who caused it with a $150 fine. I don't know that prison is the right answer...a suspended license, probation, mandatory extensive driver safety classes, make it a hassle to let this person drive again and maybe will she not only learn a lesson but those around her will as well.

Old 05-28-2013 | 09:23 AM
glock221
Road Warrior

A quick and easy fix would be for the cell phone companies to disable all texting while the vehicle is in motion. Passengers and drivers. With GPS technology this should be easy to implement.

How many more people need to die?

Old 05-28-2013 | 09:32 AM
taygull
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by glock221
A quick and easy fix would be for the cell phone companies to disable all texting while the vehicle is in motion. Passengers and drivers. With GPS technology this should be easy to implement.

How many more people need to die?
Not that I disagree...but there is nothing at this point that indicates she was using her cell phone. I have ideas on why it happened as I use this intersection everyday but I'd only be guessing as what she was up to.

I do think she could have "just not seen him"..there is a lot of "road noise" from a visual standpoint that could make it a challenge to see the bike...but that is not an excuse. From where his skid marks started it is very possible that she took a quick glance to beat oncoming traffic and he could have been obstructed by her roof column...or he was ahead of the traffic and all she saw was the group of oncoming cars in the three lanes...either way...he's dead, she didn't see him...and it just sucks..

Quick Reply: Lost a rider today