General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety/rider courses

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 PM
costal_crusier
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safety/rider courses

Hi there!

this is my first real post here, so I hope I do it alright. Anyways, I've been debating getting a motorcycle for a while, and providing I get a part time job this summer, I'll be on the road to saving up for one. I've been searching around the internet, and I've found a bit of information, but nothing definite. I've never been on a bike, except when looking at bikes and a ride on a trike, but nothing for driving. I've been told by nearly everyone, and I will definitely take their advice, "take a rider safety course". I was just wondering if there are any recommendations for the riding and safety courses (can they be the same?) that area available? I've seen that HD has their own, any opinion on those if you've taken them?

Thanks so much

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The rider courses have to teach the same information.

The only variance is the instructors.

Take it where ever you want.

Good luck

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

I,m 65 years old my first motorcycle was 49 years ago . Take the course and take it often ? It,s a good way to see/find all the bad habits you pick up . I took the course in 1985 then in 2005 I took it again and every other year I take it . I always see things I need to stop doing or things I need to do different . It,s 3 days of riding ??

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a link to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) website.

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl...rCourse%20Info

They are the organization that regulates all the rider courses, even the ones that Harley sponsors. The main difference is that when you take a Harley class you'll be using the Buell Blast as opposed to a smaller 250cc Honda Rebel, Ninja or similar bike.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM
medic0446
Advanced

I am not a expert on this by any means. However, I have been in your position and did a lot of research into the classes and what bike to get. In my area, the classes at the colleges are less expensive, $125. The class sizes are larger, max of 20 people and the bikes are not very well maintained. The classes at HD was much more expensive, $325. However, the class sizes are much smaller, max of 12 and the Buells were well maintained.

My fiancee and I chose to take the class at HD. The smaller class size appealed to her and would not take the class without me. They offered to waive the cost of the class if we purchased a bike there. We had a total of five people in our class with two instructors. There was a lot of one on one time with the instructors. My fiancee had never ridden before and they taught her from step one.

The class also had refreshments and served lunch on two of the days. There was also a graduation party at the end with cake. They also took some time to promote their products and services. I expected that since the class is offered at HD.

Is it worth $325 per person? That is debatable. However, I would not expect the instructors to take the time with each person that they did at a college class with 20 people. We were happy with our decision.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When I took it 12 years or so ago in IL, the class was $20 and the price was refunded after you showed up all three days (unless you chose to donate the $20 to the course, which I and every other student did).

It was well worth it and a must for any new rider IMO.

As to where to take it, take it wherever is convenient and close.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Being away from bikes for 30 years and it's the law in Texas, I took it and it helped me a lot. We had 250 Kawasaki bikes. Two 8 hour days, $200. Well worth the money. Mine wasn't from Harley but a state licensed company.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Sorcice
Intermediate

When my brother and I bought our Harleys from the dealer they waved the class fees for both of us. we are scheduled on June 10. The HD guy told us the main diff is the one at the college is taught by civilians vs the one at HD was taught by LEOs who ride larger harley style bikes daily and smaller class sizes etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been riding bikes for 40 years but I never had a license. I took the course with a friend who had never ridden. I learned alot from the course. My friend could barely ride at the start of the class. By the time it was over it made a HUGE difference in his riding skills. He is 65 so not a spring chicken. He still takes his time but the course was a huge improvment for him. This was the H-D course.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:54 AM
DSmoke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, take the class. In PA it is free they provide the bikes and helmets. I recommend anyone who is interested in riding to take the class before they even look at buying a bike. I wish it was mandatory for every driver out there. There would be less accidents because the course makes you a better driver in a car too.

It happened to rain during the one day of my riding class. I was very happy to learn those skills in the rain with instructors around. Those skills came in handy the other day when the rear end got loose while braking in the rain. There must have been oil or something on the road, because I barely had any pressure applied, but I corrected and went on my way.

Quick Reply: safety/rider courses