General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety/rider courses

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you can see the price of the class varies, based upon a number of factors. However, even the most expensive is "cheap" considering that it is the foundation for not only safety, but fun. If you can't ride well, you'll be uncomfortable, and thus won't enjoy riding.

Mind you the MSF or Rider's Edge course should be viewed as the very beginning of your rider training. It is not all you need to know by any stretch, but it is a very solid foundation upon which to build.

In most states now completing the course gets you your motorcycle endorsement without any further testing at the DMV, that's a big plus. Also, you'll save on your motorcycle insurance with most companies.

I would suggest taking the course even before you decide to buy a motorcycle. It will not hurt a thing. However, if you end up with a long gap between taking the course, and owning your own machine, I'd defintiely recommend running through it again.

If you're a HOG member - even at the associate level - you get a $50.00 gift certifiicate from them upon completion of the course (either MSF or Rider's Edge).

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 05-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medic0446
I am not a expert on this by any means. However, I have been in your position and did a lot of research into the classes and what bike to get. In my area, the classes at the colleges are less expensive, $125. The class sizes are larger, max of 20 people and the bikes are not very well maintained. The classes at HD was much more expensive, $325. However, the class sizes are much smaller, max of 12 and the Buells were well maintained.

My fiancee and I chose to take the class at HD. The smaller class size appealed to her and would not take the class without me. They offered to waive the cost of the class if we purchased a bike there. We had a total of five people in our class with two instructors. There was a lot of one on one time with the instructors. My fiancee had never ridden before and they taught her from step one.

The class also had refreshments and served lunch on two of the days. There was also a graduation party at the end with cake. They also took some time to promote their products and services. I expected that since the class is offered at HD.

Is it worth $325 per person? That is debatable. However, I would not expect the instructors to take the time with each person that they did at a college class with 20 people. We were happy with our decision.
Just a side note.... I'm an MSF coach... if a college is using MSF and they're putting over 12 people in a class, they're very much in the wrong. Class size, on the riding range, is a max. of 12, with 2 instructors...period. Classroom size can be as many as they want, but the MSF mandates no more than 12 riders at one time on a regulation range, with two coaches....

I'm saddened to hear that if it is truly the case.

On a separate side note, I'm also certified to teach Rider's Edge. Both are exactly the same as far as on bike time and skill exercises. It really boils down to if you have a good instructor or not. Good luck.

Last edited by zion; 05-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
costal_crusier
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the many quick replies! The small class sizes of HD sound nice, and its good to hear that they start at the very beginning. Might be able to talk dad into going for some fun.

Thanks again!