General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marking it's territory(!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Marking it's territory(!)

My current ride is a '07 FLSTN, which I'm well pleased with except for one recent issue: about a week ago I changed fluids, and since then I have noticed a seep from the primary drain plug. I put Formula+ in the primary, cleaned the plug threads and coated with pipe dope, installed a new o-ring, and torqued the plug to 15 ft lbs. I always put some newspaper under my bikes after a fluid change to help spot any leaks, and the next morning I saw a small spot on the paper. I re-torqued the plug to 18 ft lbs and put clean paper on the floor. Next morning, no spot. I took the bike out for a ride, then parked it with clean paper. After a few hours, I checked and was irritated to see another oil spot. Next day, I re-torqued the plug to 21 ft lbs (upper end of prescribed range) and took another ride. I parked the bike with clean paper beneath, and checked a bit later -- another spot.

This is not a matter of a leak or drip, rather it's a seep -- a few drops, then it apparently stops. I'm more irritated than upset, but would still like to solve the problem. The only other thing I can think of right now is to drain the oil and put teflon tape on the plug threads. I'm assuming that any bits of tape that might get into the oil would not cause any problem(?)

Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

just throwing this out there - make sure it is leaking from the actual plug & not dripping down the back of the primary, which could be a more serious issue like shift shaft or another seal.

if it is just the drain plug try the teflon paste.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by o/d
...make sure it is leaking from the actual plug & not dripping down the back of the primary... try the teflon paste.
I'll double check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's coming out around the plug. Never had any problems prior to this fluid change, and I don't want to chance over-torquing the plug. I've got teflon paste on it now, so I assume you meant tape.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
RapidHamster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried pipe dope the last time I changed my oil after hearing about using it from a great mechanic.

It leaked, so I drained it and went back to Teflon tape and a copper washer, and haven't had a leak since.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidHamster
I tried pipe dope the last time I changed my oil after hearing about using it from a great mechanic.

It leaked, so I drained it and went back to Teflon tape and a copper washer, and haven't had a leak since.
I have never used any kind of thread sealer on my drain bolts, neaver had leak from the, knock on wood.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That drain plug is "spose" to work without pipe tape or compound. Pipe thread which is a tapered thread is where you are "spose" to use tape or compound. When there is an O-ring, that is the part that makes the seal. Sometimes a build up of compound or tape can actually stop the O-ring from doing it's job and then you get a leak that you tighten till you strip! Start over and get everything very clean, plug, O-ring and crankcase. Put a little clean oil on the O-ring so it slides as the plug is tightening and just snug it up.

None of this matters if you are as others said maybe leaking from behind the primary.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Unless you've got a cracked Primary in the area of the Plug Threads (unlikely); you've probably got a Primary Shaft Seal (P/N 12052) or Starter Motor Seal (P/N12066) Leak. Might also be the Primary Cover Gasket (P/N 60539-94A).
I'd recommend that you clean the area thoroughly. Put the bike up on a jack, and then take a clean white paper towel and pat (don't rub or wipe) the area every 15 minutes or so. Where the oil shows first on the paper towel will tell you where the leak is. That the Plug is the lowest point means that no matter what is actually leaking . . . the oil will show up there every time . . . just before it drips off the bike.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
...probably got a Primary Shaft Seal (P/N 12052) or Starter Motor Seal (P/N12066) Leak. Might also be the Primary Cover Gasket (P/N 60539-94A)... clean the area thoroughly.... Where the oil shows first on the paper towel will tell you where the leak is...
Followed your advice and it's obvious that the oil is coming from above and behind the drain plug. That would point the finger at the primary shaft seal, right?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Bummer, it would have been an easier fix if it had been the drain plug.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

try the white thread tape. that's what I use

Quick Reply: Marking it's territory(!)