General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marking it's territory(!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by o/d
...link to a thread i started when mine was marking it's territory. maybe be of help
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ak-repair.html...
Great thread, but way beyond my skill level(!) I'm planning on riding this bike up to Sturgis this year, so probably will put it in the shop for repair.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's the starter jack shaft the drip will be just what you have mentioned. If it's the primary seal it tends to be a combination issue.

A seal can age but typically a leak on the main shaft out of the primary and into the tranny is due to a bad bearing, or even the tranny seals and the bearings between the main shaft and the output shaft. Which is some serious repair work.

The good news is that seal usually gets chewed up and leaks real bad, or in the case of the tranny seals involved you get a major dump of tranny oil when the bike sits on the stand. Also there's an accompanying noise when in neutral and allowing it to spin with the clutch released, and the noise stops when you pull the clutch. Which are not symptoms you mentioned.

I live with my tiny drip when I park after riding. I wipe it off just before I park the bike and don't see any drips overnight. I'm not digging into taking off the inner and out primary for a drip.

One thing that would be nice to have is a tiny camera with it's own light to observe these areas that are out of view.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 06-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
... you've probably got a Primary Shaft Seal (P/N 12052)...
Just thought I'd post a final report. I put the bike in the dealer shop a few days ago and requested the one tech I know and trust most to work on it. I picked the bike up yesterday, finding was indeed the primary shaft seal, though tech wrote that he also changed a transmission(?) seal. I rode the bike hard yesterday afternoon and put some newsprint under it overnight -- no sign of leak now. Not sure what the bill would have been, but with the extended warranty my cost was $50.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear it's fixed.

I take it the IPB was in good condition. That and the clutch hub bearing carry quite a lot of torque. It's typically only when the bearings go that the shaft wobbles enough to wipe out the seal.