General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you own a "beater" as a second (or third, etc.) bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you own a "beater" as a second (or third, etc.) bike?

Just wondering how many out there have a beater bike, maybe an older Sporty or even a metric, a bike to ride when there is salt residue on the roads, during rain, etc. (Before you guys jump all over me, I've ridden my share of miles in the rain, the trip home from Harley's 100th comes to mind,butsometimes I won't have the time to get tothe cleaning and polishing job right awaythat will await if I go out, so I stay in.I don't trust mywife to touch my bike other than to get on the back, so that idea is not an option.) IfIget a beater bike,a quick spray down after such a ride, and that would be theendof the cleaning. I probably would ride a bit more.
Thoughts? If you have a beater, what is it?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you own a "beater" as a second (or third, etc.) bike?

I woudn't mind getting a beater bike....But I've only owned Harleys for road bikes, and I would kinda like to keep it that way. Not being a"RUB" I cant afford a Harley beater bike [:@]

BTW THE "RUB" comment was only in jest, being the hot topic lately

Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well , being a founding member of RBT , I can proudly say I only own one beater bike , and only own one bike

Old 02-22-2007, 10:43 PM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. Wouldn't mind one though. I've got what many consider a nice bike. (I do.) I ride it! Salt residue? So what. I didn't buy a bike to pamper. I do however make sure to wash it if I come across some unavoidable salty slop. But here in MI. riding season's too short and I'll not sit around waiting for the rain to wash the roads.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, i wouldnt call any of my bikes "beaters", but i always have more than one bike, because i need a motorcycle to get to work, and usually the older one gets the rain duty.

currently i have two street bikes that are too similar, both litre sized streetbikes. my plan is to sell the older one and replace it with a dual sport.

as for cleaning and polishing, i do the minimum. after a ride in the rain, the bike gets a quick toweloff to fight rust, and thats about it. nothing is funnier to me than that old S-100 ad showing some duchebag polishing his bike in the driveway, watching someone ride by with the caption "Why are they riding when im here cleaning?" hahah. i guess some people like to polish bikes more than ride them.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last summer my Wife, Son, Daughter and her boyfriend threw in together and bought me a 1979 Suzuki RM100. You see, back in the day I had an RM125 that I both rode recreationally and raced a bit. Getting on this thing really took me back. It's in great shape too! Spent most of the last 10 years in the back of a garage under a blanket after a complete engine rebuild. So, I suppose this is my "beater". I'm just loving it. As for the street, I would love an old Sporty or an old Jap verticle twin like a Yamaha XS650 or Kawasaki KZ750. My true love is a Triumph Bonneville, but one of those would be too valuable to be a beater.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

This one makes me chuckle,I am not a RUB but I do own a second bike,and I call it my Bar Hopper,Hot Rod Bagger,or whatever the mood.It has taken me a lot of years to get to this point and it was well worth the wait.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always admired the KLR's but doubt I'll ever have one. Where I live there just isn't enough off road activity to justify having one.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, a beater bike for early spring rides when I am really getting the itch. I planned on getting one this year but I think I should wait until the middle of next winter to purchase, better deals when snow is on the ground. My first choice I think would be a Suzuki V-Strom.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My beater is my primary ride.

Quick Reply: Do you own a "beater" as a second (or third, etc.) bike?