General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:03 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC

Just cut the screen down.
Take 1" off at a time until it's good.
Once you get it right, you can do the finish work to make it look nice.
Easy to cut. Lots of threads on it.

I had the same problem on my softie. I love it since I cut it.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YOU'RE STILL USING EYE PROTECTION RIGHT?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

You didn't mention how high the windshield is. I have always had good luck with the windscreen being about even with my nose. Most websites that I have looked at for windshield fitting all recommend that it be about that height. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spikehyre

remove about 10 inches between your *** and shoulders and then, like me, you will feel no wind at all.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Not sure this is physically possible, but it sure gave me a good laugh this morning, thanks I needed that.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be willing to bet the buffeting is caused by the wind coming from underneath. I had this problem on my Wide Glide so I used to occasionally ride with my feet on the rear pegs. In other words the wind was comingright up my legs, and when I moved them back, it was like a different world...could even hear better. Same thing on my Street Glide, only now I rest my feet on the top of the engine guard to get the same results.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
shepo
Advanced

Sorry for the delay in responding - my area (Sydney, Australia, has been experiencing blackouts after violent electrical storms.

The centre height (above headlight to top) of my QD HD windshield is about 16" and I do wear eye protection (glasses with a full-face helmet).

Thanks very much to everyone who have replied to this thread it is much appreciated. I will try your suggestions and recommendations(perhaps except cutting 10" out of my torso) and if I am able to find a fix I shall post a reply.

Cheers,

shep.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

I have an 06 FXST and have been through the same situation you are experiancing; I started with a quick detach standard height (19")windshield (I'm 6'1"). I took the advice of several folks on this forum and bought a "Jack'sFlaps" vest--no help, thencut down the shield a couple of inches--no help. Eventually I sent mine to a custom windshield maker and had a replacement made that is 23" which put it about 2" above my eye level (looking through the shield), PROBLEM SOLVED! I still get a little turbulance but not enough to interfere with my vision. I also have a mustache bar on my bike and have noticed that when I use it the air gets even smoother around my head, (because my legs are right up against the tank), so I'm in the process of trying to fabricate some custom wind deflectors that willattach to the two bolts that hold the windshield bracket to the fork legs.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Cut your windshield down until you are looking over it and not through it. Then buy and install the Harley wind deflectors that mount on the forks. The deflectors really work, and the wind buffeting on my helmet disappeared.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

I had the same problem and found that a pair of chrome lowers that mount under the windshield as Tommy Meisel mentioned were a great help. Check out the attached pic. My windshield is from National Cycle and the lowers attached to the same mounts as the windshield. You could use Harley's. The beauty of National Cycle's stuff is that... 1. The windshields lock in place to prevent theft yet pop right off when unlocked, and 2. The mounts will accept all of their Switchblade windshields so it's easy to switch to a smaller shield when so desired. I'll be getting a tinted shorty shield for the summer months here in New Mexico. Yet if I plan a long interstate ride I can easily pop my larger 2up shield on and off I go. Here's their website. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/nbrowse
This is not an advertisement, just a satisfied customer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21545/A409FE439CDD43B68B7862B8A59AA182.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 AM
shepo
Advanced

Thanks for all the help and info - I will check out those lower fork wind deflectors.

I went for a short ride yesterday (short because of the bad weather) with my wife on the back and tried out a few of the tips. I found there is wind coming from underneath the shield (placed my left hand at neck height) and tried keeping my knees close to the tank to minimize the effect - did not seem to make too much difference.

I found most of the disturbance to my helmet comes over the top of the screen - but, I did notice something funny - I did not experience too much turbulence at all on the ride, however, my wife on the back was complaining a lot!(Yeah, I know women do that a lot anyway - still whinge after winning lotto 'cause they had to buy a ticket and complain about having to clean up the mess after father xmas has delivered presents, etc, etc) but this time she was complaining about the buffeting - something she has not done before.

Perhaps, the air turbulence has shifted back to the passenger with the added slip stream?

I will keep trying and let you know.

ta,

shep.

Quick Reply: Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC