General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007 | 10:49 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Default RE: Too much riding?

I used to work with a lady who was always saying that instead of going golfing, or whatever, she should actually stay home and wash her walls, or do some other mundane chore. I'd always say to her, "When you're sitting around the old folks home 40 years from now, do you want to be telling stories about the walls you washed, or that hole in one you got one time?" She'd choose golfing. Same goes with riding. To me there is no such thing as too much riding. I'm the guy with that grass that is just a bit too long, has the dandelions and crabgrass here and there, who's yard doesn't look like the display home from "Home & Garden". (Much to my next door neighbour's chagrin! LOL) Mind you, if I'm lucky, I get about a 5 or 6 month riding season around here. That is extra incentive to spend as much time in the saddle as possible, before the snow flies again. My advice, if these thoughts continue to invade your brain, is to go for a nice long ride, to consider whether you need professional help.

Old 02-23-2007 | 10:58 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Wish I had this problem. I haven't ridden in over a month and won't be riding again around here for at least another 2 or 3 weeks. Thank god I'm going to AZ in a week to do some riding.

Now if I could just convincemy wife to move there.

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:04 AM
QT Hush
Road Warrior

Riding too much? I don't know if you can ride too much. It depends on how you feel about your responsibilities as a home owner. As much as I love to ride my motorcycle, I will not neglect my home.

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:06 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

One can never ride too much..............it is very possible to ride to little.

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:09 AM
Tactical1
Tourer

thems fighting words

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:12 AM
cadillac
Road Master

I havent been able to get the bike out of the garage since the 1st week of Nov! Too much snow, ice, and sub zero temps here in Iowa this winter. Cant wait for a good day!!

bob

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:25 AM
koga
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jakedog

It must be nice being able to do all that riding...... Are you retired? I seem to be at work most of the time......
No I am not retired, some say "retarded", some say an "a-hole", I like to say that I am semi retired, been saying that for the last 20 Years. Seriously though I work in the Nuclear power industry doing refuel outages around the country and it is for the most part seasonal.

I am only 43 yrs oldso I have a long ways to go berore retirement. ON average I work March thru may, then sept. thru Nov.

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:29 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: cadillac

I havent been able to get the bike out of the garage since the 1st week of Nov! Too much snow, ice, and sub zero temps here in Iowa this winter. Cant wait for a good day!!

bob
I remember those days. I fugging moved!

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:53 AM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: steveh326

I friend told me once you can tell a biker's house cause theyard looks like crap... insteady of yardwork he's out riding. Sure is true in my case...
When I retired in 02, I left 2 days later to go to Sturgis, had my retirement party out there at Glenco Campground.when I got home a couple weeks later I was right into riding everyday.One day my next door neighbor came over and said to me, "Surley your not going to go riding until after you cut your grass" I asked him if my grass bothered him, he said yes it did. You just have to love a good decent neighbor that says it as it is, so I told him if it bothers you that much, perhaps you should mow it, your mower or mine??and I left, after a couple of hours of riding I started to feel pretty bad about my grass, it was up to my ankles, so I went home to mow, as I pulled up, my neighbor was just putting my mower back in my garage, he said I used yours, you need gas..we both had a laugh over that, now my yard is small takes about 30 minutes to mow, but by golly he did it for me..Now that is a good neighbor Now that I'm no longer able to push a mower my other neighbor uses his riding mower to do it for me..good neighbors are hard to find, I lucked out..and yes, I do still ride every day, usually all day long to.

Old 02-23-2007 | 12:04 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Cool story. You must not live in the Northeast because I can guarantee you my neighbors won't be cutting my grass anytime soon. Or me theirs.....

ORIGINAL: Bear64

ORIGINAL: steveh326

I friend told me once you can tell a biker's house cause theyard looks like crap... insteady of yardwork he's out riding. Sure is true in my case...
When I retired in 02, I left 2 days later to go to Sturgis, had my retirement party out there at Glenco Campground.when I got home a couple weeks later I was right into riding everyday.One day my next door neighbor came over and said to me, "Surley your not going to go riding until after you cut your grass" I asked him if my grass bothered him, he said yes it did. You just have to love a good decent neighbor that says it as it is, so I told him if it bothers you that much, perhaps you should mow it, your mower or mine??and I left, after a couple of hours of riding I started to feel pretty bad about my grass, it was up to my ankles, so I went home to mow, as I pulled up, my neighbor was just putting my mower back in my garage, he said I used yours, you need gas..we both had a laugh over that, now my yard is small takes about 30 minutes to mow, but by golly he did it for me..Now that is a good neighbor Now that I'm no longer able to push a mower my other neighbor uses his riding mower to do it for me..good neighbors are hard to find, I lucked out..and yes, I do still ride every day, usually all day long to.

Quick Reply: Too much riding?