General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flippin dmv

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Based on $5100, isn't $3200 within that $2000 your DMV is talking about?
We have the same thing here in Washington, but sometimes I have to bring that $2K thing to their attention. I always go to Licensing with a copy of the regulation (printed from the State's website). Pretty hard for them to argue with that.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I love SC. I go to the DMV and the amount on the bill of sale or title is what I pay taxes on. If it was an even trade (like the last 2) I don't pay squat for taxes.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Based on $5100, isn't $3200 within that $2000 your DMV is talking about?
We have the same thing here in Washington, but sometimes I have to bring that $2K thing to their attention. I always go to Licensing with a copy of the regulation (printed from the State's website). Pretty hard for them to argue with that.
Yeah I meant $5300. This is in WA state. They also said I could go out and buy $100 worth of parts to bring it up to within the 2k. In the end I had to print up the KBB value that gave it within the 2k.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Just par for the course. They're going to steal it one way or the other. Just like the feds.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Yeah I meant $5300. This is in WA state. They also said I could go out and buy $100 worth of parts to bring it up to within the 2k. In the end I had to print up the KBB value that gave it within the 2k.
Easiest thing is to go back to the seller and have him write you a bill of sale for $3400 (or make your own). Then find a different satellite Licensing outlet.
They (Licensing) also have a form that you and the seller sign stating the agreed upon value.
In Washington there is no sales tax on vehicles. It is a 'use' tax based on the average value.
I feel your pain, man. Seems this state would rather perform their service 'to' you, than 'for' you.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
This is not true everywhere...Florida for one...Why are they taxing a private party sale to begin with. I hate that crap? The tax was paid when the vehicle was purchased new...They already got their cut...They don't tax other private party sales...I just sold some stuff at a yard sale. Hope they don't coming looking for money for that...
They weren't taxing the sale, but the property. The new owner had to pay the property tax. He would then get another tax bill every year after that.

Sales tax is a tax on the transaction. Property tax is based upon the value of the property, and is an annual tax.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by d-roadglidr
I love SC. I go to the DMV and the amount on the bill of sale or title is what I pay taxes on. If it was an even trade (like the last 2) I don't pay squat for taxes.
You pay your property taxes based upon the amount in the bill of sale? So if you bought a $5k bike from a relative for $100, you would get an annual tax bill based on that $100?

I don't believe that.

I think some of you are confusing sales tax with property tax, and they are not the same thing.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
They weren't taxing the sale, but the property. The new owner had to pay the property tax. He would then get another tax bill every year after that.

Sales tax is a tax on the transaction. Property tax is based upon the value of the property, and is an annual tax.
Not the case...we are both military and are exempt from property tax in this state. This was sales tax and is BS...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 05-22-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
You pay your property taxes based upon the amount in the bill of sale? So if you bought a $5k bike from a relative for $100, you would get an annual tax bill based on that $100?

I don't believe that.

I think some of you are confusing sales tax with property tax, and they are not the same thing.

IN SC, the DMV doesn't have anything to do with the property tax except to insure you have a receipt for payment before you can get tags and registration. We pay a sales tax on private sales based on the amount on the BoS or title. Property tax is figured on some arcane black magic formula based on whatever they pull out of their azz that day.
The property tax on the '97 Sportster I just registered was $5.97.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

People have lied about what they pay for vehicles as long as I have been alive, some states have figured out a way of evening the financial score by using a value based system such as book values. While this sucks for people who have not cheated in the past, it is getting even with the cheaters, who have screwed all of us for years. Tax is our way of paying for government, if you don't like the way the government works, it is your right to attempt to effect change.

Now! if your really fired up, consider this, if the Tax was paid at original sale point on an item, wouldn't it be double taxation to tax the same item again?

For those who say yes because the item is being sold again, I ask, didn't you pay income tax on the money your spending on that item?????

Where does it all stop!

It won't, because not enough people will stand and fight (so to speak).

Quick Reply: Flippin dmv