General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flippin dmv

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,847 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
How about if you don't pay, you'll get the same thing Al Capone did.
You mean, we'll get syphilis?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Shortmag
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
But look at what your taxes do for the state...better roads, police, schools...convinced yet? How about if you don't pay, you'll get the same thing Al Capone did.
REALLY? Have you seen our roads? How many times must we pay tax on the same damn vehicle? They tried that on me years ago-just get a bill of sale stating sold as is.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
You mean, we'll get syphilis?
Damn, you beat me to it.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
States are strapped for cash and they are getting cutthroat in the tactics to gouge your wallet . Damn man I was pissed about my DMV troubles till I read yours .
What troubles? The CA dmv is awesome... as long as you make an appt

Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

And some of you complain about California!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

and now they're trying to tax you based on the number of miles that you drive each year......

bastages. they don't need more money, they just need to be better stewards of the money that they do have.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure why you guys are surprised. Property taxes are always based on value, not what was paid. They have no way to value property based upon private sales. What would have been an average price for that bike if it had been sold by a dealer? That's what they go by.

Do they sometimes over-value? For sure! I live with that right now for my house.

It can be fought if you can prove that their valuation is too high, but that can cost you more in time and money than the taxes that you'll save.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to pick up a lot of used cars (needing major work) dirt cheap from the dealer I used to work at. DMV would always send me the Chit-O-Gram letter about how much additional money I owed them in sales tax. So as a habit I would always list all the things the car needed on the sales receipt that I would get the seller to sign. When I got the letter from DMV I would send back a copy of the sales receipt and tell DMV "The car in question, Vin #- - - - - - -, needs: (I would list all the problems)" Then say "Please Give me a value for this vehicle needing (write the list again)". I would never hear back from them.

I figured I had two choices. Either get really mad when this stuff happend, lose sleep, think about it all day at work OR just learn how to "play the game". I chose to just play the game.

To the OP, They already TOLD you the flim flam, Take it!! Go back and get another signed letter that the bike has a bad transmission or some other major problem. Game On!!!

Last edited by BikerV; 05-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I was looking around for a new (used) vehicle...I found a truck for a reasonable price AFTER looking for a month. I bought it and then my brothers vehicle died...They only had one vehicle and had no time to search so, I sold them my truck and went back to looking...Two days before they bought it, I paid the state taxes on it (1500.00)...I gave them a bill of sale and a copy of my tax receipt. The went to the DMV and they charged them another 1500.00...WTF...I just paid you two days ago and this was my BROTHER registering the truck...No way around it...We called everyone...On the other side of things, I only paid 29.00 for the tag on my '65. It is good for life...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Not sure why you guys are surprised. Property taxes are always based on value, not what was paid. They have no way to value property based upon private sales. What would have been an average price for that bike if it had been sold by a dealer? That's what they go by.

Do they sometimes over-value? For sure! I live with that right now for my house.

It can be fought if you can prove that their valuation is too high, but that can cost you more in time and money than the taxes that you'll save.
This is not true everywhere...Florida for one...Why are they taxing a private party sale to begin with. I hate that crap? The tax was paid when the vehicle was purchased new...They already got their cut...They don't tax other private party sales...I just sold some stuff at a yard sale. Hope they don't coming looking for money for that...

Quick Reply: Flippin dmv