General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:53 AM
norton
Road Captain

If you mean the pin thing for the exhaust, it didn't work. I've tried the rubber strips for the backrest and it sorta works for a while.

Now I have a sort of banging noise when I hit a bump.

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:05 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the vibration also. I loosened all of the exhaust including at the heads, started the bike, stopped it, and then retorqued everything to factory specs. And I did the pin mod. It got rid of all the excess vibes for me. For the backrest, I wrapped the hubs with a few rounds of black tape.

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:23 AM
jb55
Cruiser

I really like my 13 big blue pearl. one of the nicest factory colors in the sun i have ever seen(IMO). In stock trim they are a little querky. The exhaust is garbage! The winsheild is too short and those clips that hold it on need to be plasti-dipped. But after a few mods it is a awesome all around bike. It would be nice if the bags were bigger, but then it would look too much like a full on touring bike. They work just fine for me. And whats not to like a wheel that is modeled after the old school hot rod wheels from the 60's. It may not be for everybody, but I couldn't be happier.

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:45 AM
norton
Road Captain

They did the T.B. at the service dept. the last time it was in the shop and that seemed to help for a while and then they (the vibes) came back. Don't know why yet.

Old 05-23-2013 | 02:07 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by bjewell
"Seriously, do you belive any of this bull$hit? Nobody gives a stuff that you don't like the colours, or the wheel, or the name, or if the bags are too small for you.

As an FLD owner with 18,000 miles on mine in 11 months and someone who has owned and ridden Harleys for 39 years, I rate the FLD as probably the best Harley so far. But I'm not interested in hauling a house with me whenever I go for an overnighter, and I don't give a hoot for screens and cushy seats. But above all, I don't care wht you call my bike. I ride it. I like it. Nothing in the Harley range carries on the tradition of the first swingarm bikes like the FLD does. It's close to identical in every dimension..."

And this is why I learned to despise Australians while living in Tokyo. No where did I say the bike was bad, just the execution of the design. Can you read??? Your bike is EXACTLY what I meant when I said Switchbacks could be great bikes in the tradition of the old Harley. Your bike is terrific, you took the bags off, found some wire wheels, used vintage hardware and made it look for all the world like a '58 Glide. It's off-the-charts-cool. I've been riding since 1963, got a '48 Indian chief is '64 and my first Harley in '68 -- an XLCH.

So glad they sent the stupid ones far away...
BJ,
Nowhere did I accuse you of saying the bike was bad - only that nobody gives a **** what you think about the colours, bags, etc. perhaps you should have taken the time to actually read my post.

I'm going to leave your Aussie rant, the "can't you read???", and the stupid reference alone. Others can judge that themselves.

Ill take the rest of what you wrote about my bike as a compliment.

BTW. It would be a '61 Harley with the FL nacelle style headlight. '58's used the separate headlight and fork shroud.

Old 05-23-2013 | 02:38 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

The Switchback offers a nice balance of styling, versatility and price. If I was in the market, I'd buy one.

Old 05-23-2013 | 03:56 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

I thought I'd share this wonderful private message bjewel sent me.

Originally Posted by bjewell
"BJ,

Yeah, yeah got it we here ae more interested in riding the bikes instad explaining them...

Everyone has an opinion and a right to say it without some ******* like you butting in. Every time I see you post I will be sure to put in a simple "Thank you for your comment." That translates to "Australians are worthless, no-class ugly snake fkers..."

Loser...
No argument, just crass insults. I guess we'll have to add duplicitous potty-mouthed fool that doesn't want to reveal his true nature lest other forumites realize what a boor he really is, to your pre-existing accomplishments - illiterate xenophobe.

Old 05-23-2013 | 06:15 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

looks like someone is butt hurt

Old 05-23-2013 | 06:19 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
quick thread creep...Joe, what the hell happened to your orange Street Glide?
Sold to a dude in Minnesota in January.

Old 05-23-2013 | 06:25 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Sorry bout the HI-JACK; not

Nice bike Joe!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...