General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 10:39 PM
TO34
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Wow! Now that is the best looking switchback I have ever seen. Where did you get the exhaust?
WOW looks like something my grandfather use to ride! That is just impressive, I like the switch back, the 103 motor & a already set up bag system.. just at time it was released as I had already picked up my Ultra...

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:04 PM
Jake911
Road Captain

It's not the first bike I would choose, but it is a HD, has nice power and is aimed at a specific market.

Personally, I have never liked ANY bike in its off-the-showroom-floor condition, but that's just me.

Old 05-23-2013 | 12:56 AM
kknickmeyer
Cruiser

I'm very happy with mine. I've done a stage 1, True Track and Road King bars. I almost never use the screen and the bags hold plenty. I haven't done a trip over a week yet but I can't imagine needing bigger bags, I had room for extra shoes. Kurt

Old 05-23-2013 | 02:22 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by traveler
I think a black switchback with chrome laced wheels and wide whitewalls and blacked out saddlebag latches would look fantastic

~Joe
quick thread creep...Joe, what the hell happened to your orange Street Glide?

Old 05-23-2013 | 03:06 AM
3illy
Tourer

I dont get them(the Switchback line). Add a quick detach windsheild and some detachable bags to a FXDF and you have a Switchback plus the awesome dual headlamp configuration.

To me a Switchback looks like the factory worker put the leftover Fat Boy parts on a Dyna.

Old 05-23-2013 | 05:55 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

A few things I dislike about the execution, I like the concept...

I think the front end looks too heavy for the rest of the bike for starters (maybe because I have and love a Wide Glide)..

If I was designing a 'convertible' bike with removable bags, they'd be a hell of a lot bigger! and IMHO 2 into 1 pipes looks odd on a hard bag bike

It would have the dual headlights like the Street Bob, and Road Glide

Not a fan of the wheels, but to me that's a vanilla-chocolate thing.

Finally, if it's not part of the tins, it should be black or chrome. None of the polished finish that (to me) looks like it needs to be buffed all the time.

Harley will sell me another Road Glide in 15, love the Dynas, but they shot themselves in the foot on a replacement for my old Wide Glide, it's okay, it's just the way I want it now anyway... Well, I would like to massage that old 88 up few horses...

Old 05-23-2013 | 07:02 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72

To the guy that had the V-Rod- you can easily get that bike up to 100/120 like my bike, and weighing hundreds of pounds less, it should fly.

It runs pretty strong stock up to about 80, but it will never be vrod fast! Yea, I could spend as much as a vrod cost on it and up the performance but that's not going to happen.

I'm trading off for the handling and comfort over the speed, for now.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:12 AM
norton
Road Captain

Personally, I'm not too crazy about the wheels and the excessive vibes, but the power is great, handles great, and I love the red. No matter what colors are offered, some people will complain.

If I had to do it over again, probably wouldn't have bought one just because of how it beats you to death shaking, and the backrest rattles so bad it's almost useless.

Don't really care for the name either but I feel that way about most dumb names HD gives their bikes. Are far as the gay thing, my psychology experts (internet) tell me that when a person uses a homophobic slur towards something or someone, it usually means that they are fighting their own "gay" feelings.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:40 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

You know there is a simple three dollar fix for the vibration and the backrest.....

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:52 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

"Seriously, do you belive any of this bull$hit? Nobody gives a stuff that you don't like the colours, or the wheel, or the name, or if the bags are too small for you.

As an FLD owner with 18,000 miles on mine in 11 months and someone who has owned and ridden Harleys for 39 years, I rate the FLD as probably the best Harley so far. But I'm not interested in hauling a house with me whenever I go for an overnighter, and I don't give a hoot for screens and cushy seats. But above all, I don't care wht you call my bike. I ride it. I like it. Nothing in the Harley range carries on the tradition of the first swingarm bikes like the FLD does. It's close to identical in every dimension..."

And this is why I learned to despise Australians while living in Tokyo. No where did I say the bike was bad, just the execution of the design. Can you read??? Your bike is EXACTLY what I meant when I said Switchbacks could be great bikes in the tradition of the old Harley. Your bike is terrific, you took the bags off, found some wire wheels, used vintage hardware and made it look for all the world like a '58 Glide. It's off-the-charts-cool. I've been riding since 1963, got a '48 Indian chief is '64 and my first Harley in '68 -- an XLCH.

So glad they sent the stupid ones far away...

Last edited by bjewell; 05-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...