General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 06:13 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter
Thumbs up

If I was buying (new), the Switchback would be
in my top 3 (I have not ridden one -- YET)

But, 40 lbs lighter than a Heritage, a 103 with a Stage
One (or Two) and the 6 sp.
Yes, I'm interested!!! I understand TH makes a slip -on
I'd have that too.

I would HAVE TO put a chrome battery cover on it though.

The 60's & 70's FL's are still my favorite classics.
Then the Pan (which the Heritage is a pretty good knock off)

Old 05-22-2013 | 06:46 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I do know that if I were buying a new Harley now I would get the Swithback. It cost less than Wideglide used to cost back in 07' when I bought mine and I would not have had to spend so much time modifying to fit my needs. Not everyone needs an over weight Bagger. I started on a 62' FLH and see no need to have a bike any bigger than that.

Old 05-22-2013 | 06:47 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member

Was not a huge fan when they came out but they are growing on me.

Old 05-22-2013 | 07:39 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Yep, chrome battery cover and electrical cover for sure! I went with the classic S&S teardrop AC too but I don't have a picture of it yet.
I also have the quick detach sissy bar to pop on when needed. And yes, that's an Airhawk seat cushion, never leave without it!

Name:  Dsc02670r_zps983c2dba.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  Dsc02671r_zpsd8e832e8.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  Dsc02675r_zps90db431f.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  123.3 KB

Old 05-22-2013 | 07:52 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

Seriously, do you belive any of this bull$hit? Nobody gives a stuff that you don't like the colours, or the wheel, or the name, or if the bags are too small for you.

As an FLD owner with 18,000 miles on mine in 11 months and someone who has owned and ridden Harleys for 39 years, I rate the FLD as probably the best Harley so far. But I'm not interested in hauling a house with me whenever I go for an overnighter, and I don't give a hoot for screens and cushy seats. But above all, I don't care wht you call my bike. I ride it. I like it.

Nothing in the Harley range carries on the tradition of the first swingarm bikes like the FLD does. It's close to identical in every dimension.

The following users liked this post:
Lvrgsp (10-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2013 | 08:02 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

I was thinking of selling my EGC for one when they came out, but as you mentioned crappy colors, small bags... Kept Karla and bought her some more chrome to keep her happy

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:07 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I think a black switchback with chrome laced wheels and wide whitewalls and blacked out saddlebag latches would look fantastic

~Joe

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:18 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
Seriously, do you belive any of this bull$hit? Nobody gives a stuff that you don't like the colours, or the wheel, or the name, or if the bags are too small for you.

As an FLD owner with 18,000 miles on mine in 11 months and someone who has owned and ridden Harleys for 39 years, I rate the FLD as probably the best Harley so far. But I'm not interested in hauling a house with me whenever I go for an overnighter, and I don't give a hoot for screens and cushy seats. But above all, I don't care wht you call my bike. I ride it. I like it.

Nothing in the Harley range carries on the tradition of the first swingarm bikes like the FLD does. It's close to identical in every dimension.

Wow! Now that is the best looking switchback I have ever seen. Where did you get the exhaust?

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:24 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I was intrigued by the Switchback when it was introduced and I agree with some of the criticisms as well as some of the praise. I think Bejewell is spot on with the 20% too small bag comment. But, I totally disagree with the color criticism. 1st of all, we all know the best color is black - and the FLD comes in Black. Secondly, I actually really like the 5 spoke wheels - black or chrome. Thirdly - I like the less is more concept. Which is saying something considering I ride an Ultra.

The right tool for the right job - the FLD suites it's role imo. If I had more $$ and more room, I would like to have one for anything less than the long rides I do. I think the overall aesthetic of the bike is true to the heritage of the FL. I love the bikes that forum members have posted up - nice!

To the guy that had the V-Rod- you can easily get that bike up to 100/120 like my bike, and weighing hundreds of pounds less, it should fly.

My only real disappointment is that they cheaped out on the chrome. I think it's unfortunate that a $16+k bike doesn't have the same chrome primary and heads as the other bikes.

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:52 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Wow! Now that is the best looking switchback I have ever seen. Where did you get the exhaust?
Thanks man. The headers are modified EFI RoadKing, now just 2-1, with a Jammer knucklehead repo muffler.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...