General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 08:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Good point. The Switchback starts at $16,200 and the Road King Standard (which it essentially copies) starts at $17,600, only $1400 more. I have always thought the same about the Heritage Softail (starting at $17,600) vs. the Road King Classic (at $19,900) although there are more obvious style differences between the RKC and HSC than there are between the Switchback and the RK.
Good point about the price. It's just too darn close to the RK price, without any of the benefits.

The main reason I got my RK was the price. One dealership wanted over $18k OTD for a 2012 Switchback. Went to another dealer, and they had a 2011 left over RK, with cruise, and profile laced chrome aluminum wheels, for $18k out the door. And they threw in Heritage style bars, backrest, and luggage rack for free.

But I have to disagree with the OP on the colors. Really??? You won't find a prettier color than Big Blue Pearl, and Ember Red Sunglow. And what's not to like about Black???

In my humble opinion, they need to rethink their pricing, put the same wheels on it, but in chrome, and add some passing lamps. Do all that for about 3k less than a RK, and they might have something.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:26 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Good point about the price. It's just too darn close to the RK price, without any of the benefits.

The main reason I got my RK was the price. One dealership wanted over $18k OTD for a 2012 Switchback. Went to another dealer, and they had a 2011 left over RK, with cruise, and profile laced chrome aluminum wheels, for $18k out the door. And they threw in Heritage style bars, backrest, and luggage rack for free.

But I have to disagree with the OP on the colors. Really??? You won't find a prettier color than Big Blue Pearl, and Ember Red Sunglow. And what's not to like about Black???

In my humble opinion, they need to rethink their pricing, put the same wheels on it, but in chrome, and add some passing lamps. Do all that for about 3k less than a RK, and they might have something.
Do you really think that it should be priced less than a Wideglide with no Footboards, Bags, or Windshield? Of coarse I guess it would be nice if the more options you purchased the less a bike would cost.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Do you really think that it should be priced less than a Wideglide with no Footboards, Bags, or Windshield? Of coarse I guess it would be nice if the more options you purchased the less a bike would cost.

I think they should all be priced less than they currently are. I do know that it's not worth a price tag that close to a Road King.

Old 05-22-2013 | 12:30 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

several 2012s around new that have never sold.I have seen 2 that interested me they were both under construction.The first was a black one with traditional hot rod flames with some ones cut down bat wing style shield .It had been lowered and had some chrome add ons

The second was being built into a trike with a paughco style box using wheels that looked like the stock ones and it was a denim black.I dont know who supplied the fabrication on the custom parts but they could of used a little better fit.

all in all I see a spot for this thing even though the moco hasnt pushed it in the urban touring circles

Old 05-22-2013 | 05:22 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never seen one outside of a dealer as far as I know. Not a bike I would consider but I am a dedicated RK guy. Don't really think I will consider another bike other than the one I have anyway so my opinion is probably a waste of bandwidth.

Old 05-22-2013 | 05:30 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Switchback.... it's becuase you want to switch back to wathever bike you traded in? LOL

When I got my Superglide, a few months later the switchback came out and it pi$$ed me right off as it had all the stuff I wanted on mine: Floorboards, QD bags, QD shield, 103" engine, 2 in 1 exhaust, bigger tires front and back.

So on paper I loved it. But seeing it in person, I had to look at the tank sticker to verify it actually was a Harley. The wheels seemed odd, but I give you that they are much easier to clean than my spokes (which I clean once a year max). Seeing the chromed wheels a couple of posts above I must admt they look awesome.
Fat front forks, looks too fat for a bike that isn't so big.
Value for money.... not there sorry. As others have mentioned I get a lot more from a std Road King, mainly 2 front disks, aux lights, crashbar, oil cooler, better performing (bigger) exhaust system, cruise control, bigger bags. I estimate 2.5k $$ worth of stuff.
Last but not least, with a King, as it has been on the market for quite a while, I can score almost new accessories on ebay to further customize it, can't do the same on the Switchback yet.

Last edited by ghira75; 05-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2013 | 05:39 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I think they should all be priced less than they currently are. I do know that it's not worth a price tag that close to a Road King.
That's mostly a function of you viewing it as a poor man's roadking substitute. I know its hard to imagine, but not everyone wants a roadking. There are plenty of people who want the handling of a dyna, but with bags.

Old 05-22-2013 | 06:47 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

A friend of mine has one, bought it at Christmas after a year on an 883. She is not loving it and is thinking of trading it for a Softail. The dealers have offered her $2k less on the trade.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:16 AM
rhoderider
Cruiser

Most my bikes have been black so color is generally a simple matter for me. There are many colors out there on bikes that have absolutely no appeal to me, but that always is a matter of taste. I understand the OPs points (all valid from his perspective), however similar "faults" could be made regarding almost any bike. That's why almost everyone changes up their bikes from stock. Personally, I think the concept of the Switchback is great - a Dyna set up for light touring. I like the idea of FL style forks on a Dyna. They clearly set this bike up for shorter people and left off many frills probably to reach a price point. It is too compact/crowded for me to be comfortable on it. Together with the work I would need to do to it so it looked correct to my eye are the reasons I would never buy one. To the right person however, it can be the perfect bike for their needs. It did fill what was somewhat of a whole in the lineup.

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:15 AM
65pony
6th Gear

When moving out of a Sporty, decided on the SB, after a test ride, made the plunge. Overall the bike had good power (upgraded to Stage 1 & D&D Fatcats after purchase) and being a bit vertically challanged it was a good fit. After 2000 miles, it seemed to not be exactly what I was looking for, so I traded it in and picked up a 2013 FLHTC, should have gone with the Tourer in the first place. The SB has its place, but if you are looking to eat up miles in comfort, go for the Touring model. BTW, I never did remove the bags and windshield, which is what the SB was marketed for.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...