General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019 | 09:34 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
The only thing I could see interfering with the shocks is the bags. If the shocks were too big in diameter or had a large remote reservoir on them they might hit the bags.
That's true, I didn't take the bags into consideration.

Old 08-05-2019 | 10:53 AM
Ron517
Advanced

When I was looking for an new bike in 2012 I considered the Switchback but bought a Super Glide Custom. I just though the Switchback was a bike with an identity crisis. It looks like a small beggar sort of but rides like a Dyna. I'm glad I went with the FXDC. To date all these years later I've never seen even one Switchback on the road.

Old 08-05-2019 | 05:17 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=VAFish;18451240]
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed103
I don't have an Switchback, but I don't see why any other shocks that fit a Dyna wouldn't fit on the Switchback. Heck I got 13" Roadking air shocks on a Sportster. No catalog lists them as fitting, but they bolt right in with an extra washer on the right side. Just because some catalog doesn't list them as fitting your bike doesn't mean they won't.
truth be told my '08 had low rider shocks on it circa 1998......when I sold her. **** canned the air ride set up.

Old 08-05-2019 | 05:21 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=Tumbleweed103;18451535]
Originally Posted by VAFish

You may be correct. I have been told that the Heritage Softtail heel/toe shifter stem will fit and work to convert a Switchback from just a toe shifter to a heel/toe shifter. I did it the hard way but that doesn't mean that other parts from other H-Ds won't work. It just means that as Switchback owners discover these swaps we absolutely must share them! I think I am relatively intelligent, but I also know that I am not as smart as I may think I am. I need help, I need your help so we can both learn and share with others. Help your Brother and Sister find the answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. We will all be stronger by helping each other.
Regards and Blessings to you all, even you non-believers. I have faith in God and God has faith in you!
It does!! my bike is living proof!! You do however need to press the shifter arm in a vise....otherwise there is way too much of an angle for the shifteer rod...(which I use a heim connection(s)

Old 08-21-2019 | 03:07 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

I've been considering this model. Not quite ready for 850lb full-time bagger life. But I did rent a 2015 (Rushmore) SGS this past saturday and WOW,.....buttery smooth at all speeds. After a whole day of riding I felt fresh as can be. Usually I'm fatigued from battling my Sporty. So I'm thinking of something in between that's rubber mounted.

Originally Posted by Huskers
The only issue with the Switchback was the lack of cruise control. I had one and traded it for that reason.
Do these models, or any Dyna, have a throttle lock at least? My 2012 Sporty does and comes in very handy on long freeway rides.

Originally Posted by Grumbler
FLD was had everything I wanted except for the vibration though handlebars which caused my left hand to
turn numb. Wasn't as bad as the Dyna Street Bob with baby apes but more so than the Dyna Low Rider. I
am susceptible to the numb hands syndrome.
I never spent more than a few minutes on a Dyna. From what I hear they vibe less than a Sporty. My Sporty is more of a shake though (healthy rubber mount Harley shake), not a vibe so I don't get numb. I have a killer dyno tune so I'm sure that helps. Can someone speak more on the Dyna vibes,..or lack thereof? If there is a numbing vibe can it be removed with a proper tune? Or is a "defect" of the model?

I only "tour" (400-500 miles) 2/3x a year. But I might be more inclined to go further if I knew the bike wouldn't beat me up.

Old 08-21-2019 | 03:20 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice
Default The Poor Harley Switchback

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
I've been considering this model. Not quite ready for 850lb full-time bagger life. But I did rent a 2015 (Rushmore) SGS this past saturday and WOW,.....buttery smooth at all speeds. After a whole day of riding I felt fresh as can be. Usually I'm fatigued from battling my Sporty. So I'm thinking of something in between that's rubber mounted.

Do these models, or any Dyna, have a throttle lock at least? My 2012 Sporty does and comes in very handy on long freeway rides.

I never spent more than a few minutes on a Dyna. From what I hear they vibe less than a Sporty. My Sporty is more of a shake though (healthy rubber mount Harley shake), not a vibe so I don't get numb. I have a killer dyno tune so I'm sure that helps. Can someone speak more on the Dyna vibes,..or lack thereof? If there is a numbing vibe can it be removed with a proper tune? Or is a "defect" of the model?

I only "tour" (400-500 miles) 2/3x a year. But I might be more inclined to go further if I knew the bike wouldn't beat me up.
I am being tempted by a 2014 Ultra Limited. I love my Switchback but, I plan to ride some long distance, multi-day rides and I admit after a 3 day 1,000 mile trip my body is aching. I have somewhat modified my FLD to be a middleweight touring bike and it is still in the middleweight class, but doesn't have the touring suspension or long-distance comfort. It would be a step up from the Sportster, especially the 883. I installed a throttle lock for Cruise control and it works pretty well. At least it reduces the stress on my right hand/arm. If I could have 2 bikes, I'd definitely keep the Switchback for short trips and commuting for work. Give one a test ride you might just like it. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mrhammer2u (08-21-2019)
Old 08-22-2019 | 08:34 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Love my bike...new battery and 1500 miles til the 5000 mile check...loving it.

Old 08-23-2019 | 03:06 AM
german ladyrider

Love mine with or without bags....but you are right about the colors. I have one of the first ones that came to Germany and they were just available in boring black, boring silver and red. So I ordered red!
Changed seat, handlebar, dash cover, exhaust, did some powder coating but still not done. I hate the aluminum you can never get clean again!

The following 2 users liked this post by german ladyrider:
Mattbastard (08-23-2019), soldierbot (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019 | 11:08 AM
heavyd1
Tourer

25,700, and still loving mine!

Old 08-23-2019 | 09:46 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Boring Black?! never!

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...