General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:27 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

There seems to be this idea that everyone who owns a switchback secretly wanted a roadking. It's not true. As pointed out, the price difference is minimal.

I've had "big" bikes before. This time I didn't want one. I wanted a lighter bike that I could zip around on, yet still take a road trip every now and again. I mostly keep it stripped down, but when I'm in the mood I load it up and go.

Name:  DangerSign.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  118.8 KB

Last edited by rubberfrog; 05-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 | 06:32 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

OP was pretty spot on about some of his observations though. I definately lol'd.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:35 PM
MiniWolf

I road the Switchback on Demo Days. It did strike me as a mini Road King, in pretty much all aspects except the brakes and weight when stopped. That seemed to be the comments of others who road it as well. Given the price point of the Switchback, I would probably just get the Road King if I was looking. You get a lot more for just a couple grand extra.

In fact, if you add a couple extras that the road king has like a Chrome engine guard , you are almost exactly at the same price as the Road King Standard but you get dual brakes, cruise control, and larger carrying space on the Road King. The pricing seems a bit aggressive for the Switchback, considering what you get.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 05-21-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 | 06:40 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain

ride one and you will know why they dont sell,plus the exposed shocks look like crap

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:46 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
ride one and you will know why they dont sell,plus the exposed shocks look like crap
That's always a matter of opinion, I for one always thought fake rigids look like crap.

The following users liked this post:
hdbob2006 (08-03-2019)
Old 05-21-2013 | 07:14 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the Switchback looks just fine in black. I was considering getting one last summer and rented a black Switchback for a weekend in the Texas hill country. I had a Road King at the time and was looking for a lighter bike with more power. The Switchback was comfortable enough in stock form with the mini apes and floorboards. The stock windshield was basically useless on the highway so I would have to have gotten a taller shield right away. I did enjoy the lighter feel and quicker handling of the Switchback versus my Road King. However, my biggest disappointment was with the power, or lack thereof, of the stock 103 motor. I was expecting this lighter bike with a bigger 103 engine to feel much more powerful than my 96 Road King, but to my surprise this particular bike felt like a dog. Also, the stock exhaust note was a joke. I don't know if the lack of power was because it was in the rental fleet, but after spending a weekend with the bike I definitely decided I wasn't going to buy one.

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:18 PM
Tahitijah
Advanced

Originally Posted by perki48
I am sure lots more of us would go see that one!!!
Already got my ticket !

Old 05-21-2013 | 08:02 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by perki48
I am sure lots more of us would go see that one!!!

Old 05-21-2013 | 08:02 PM
Darke_peak
Advanced

I bought one a few months ago. It is my first Harley after being on sports bikes for years. So I can't enter into the whole heritage debate, I don't care if it isn't modelled on a 1950's pan head (whatever that is). It is what it is.

What it is to me: a switchback, it can switch back to a boulevard cruiser from a small tourer within a minute. I will ride it 90% without bags and screen, so I don't want them on the bike when I don't need it. When I do use them it is 1-2 day rides with the wife on the back. A road king was overkill and I don't have enough grey hair for that "look" yet, one day I will. To add bags, screen and touring seat to any of the other dyna's would take the cost higher than the switchback. The suspension is better than the other dyna's (in my opinion), probably because it is a newer design. It has more factory chrome than any other dyna's.

Yes, the wheels look a bit odd. But they are easier to maintain than spokes and they are lighter leading to less unsprung weight and better handling.

Yes, the colour schemes are crap. I bought black, but my preference would be two tone red/white if it was available, like the softail deluxe option.

Yes, the bike should have twin disc brakes up front. But so should every Harley! These things weigh over 300kg, it should be illegal not to have twin discs. The Australian delivered bikes all have ABS, but why? I don't know if it would be possible to lock up the brakes. Keep the ABS, give me another disc.

Old 05-21-2013 | 08:14 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

My OL has a 2013 Switchback and loves it. A Road King was never a consideration for her, although she did try sitting on a RK Standard.
The wheels were engineered to reduce un-sprung weight. They're hollow.
No vibration that I can discern.
The Ember Red Sunglow is fantastic in the sunshine. The bags are big enough, but she wants to cut the windshield down. I have a new, take-off windshield that I'll trim to her liking. Besides the butt-ugly factory air cleaner swoop cover, I think the styling is spot on, especially with chrome wheels (reminds me of old Craigers).

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 05-21-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: nunya

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...