General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019 | 08:57 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

no it sounds like it would be alright.......shocks are pretty standard in general...you would think there would be something available.

Old 08-03-2019 | 09:14 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice
Default The Poor Harley Switchback

You would think that there would be some options but, there seems to be only 12.5 inch shocks w/o any variations. You can adjust the firmness but that is all. We will see what we will see as this experiment continues... Keep riding and Regards and Blessings to you all.

Old 08-03-2019 | 09:17 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm happy with my 2014. The only thing I would have also wanted was cruise control. I like to tour and I don't want a heavier bike.

And if any of you hear of a black right side saddlebag for sale, please let me know. Mine fell off while riding for reasons I don't understand and pretty much destroyed itself.

Old 08-03-2019 | 09:29 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice
Default The Poor Harley Switchback

Originally Posted by rocket23
no it sounds like it would be alright.......shocks are pretty standard in general...you would think there would be something available.
You would think so but, there are few. In fact, H-D has discontinued the model after only a few years. Maybe that will make our's more sought after... Right, well I love mine... so it will cost you dearly to get mine! LOL! I do love it.

The following users liked this post:
rocket23 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019 | 12:24 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed103
You would think so but, there are few. In fact, H-D has discontinued the model after only a few years. Maybe that will make our's more sought after... Right, well I love mine... so it will cost you dearly to get mine! LOL! I do love it.
AYE!!! Brilliant minds think alike!

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:29 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

[QUOTE=Tumbleweed103;18449326]
Except that there don't seem to be any options for the rear shocks. I wanted to get some Progressive's but there are no upgrades for the FLD. That is a weak spot. Since I don't do long distance rides with a passenger, it should not be a problem.
You would think that there would be some options but, there seems to be only 12.5 inch shocks w/o any variations. You can adjust the firmness but that is all. We will see what we will see as this experiment continues... Keep riding and Regards and Blessings to you all.
I don't have an Switchback, but I don't see why any other shocks that fit a Dyna wouldn't fit on the Switchback. Heck I got 13" Roadking air shocks on a Sportster. No catalog lists them as fitting, but they bolt right in with an extra washer on the right side. Just because some catalog doesn't list them as fitting your bike doesn't mean they won't.

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:43 PM
LDB187
Road Captain

VA Fish. They do and the SB shocks will fit any dynas

Last edited by LDB187; 08-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2019 | 09:24 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice

[QUOTE=VAFish;18451240]

I don't have an Switchback, but I don't see why any other shocks that fit a Dyna wouldn't fit on the Switchback. Heck I got 13" Roadking air shocks on a Sportster. No catalog lists them as fitting, but they bolt right in with an extra washer on the right side. Just because some catalog doesn't list them as fitting your bike doesn't mean they won't.

You may be correct. I have been told that the Heritage Softtail heel/toe shifter stem will fit and work to convert a Switchback from just a toe shifter to a heel/toe shifter. I did it the hard way but that doesn't mean that other parts from other H-Ds won't work. It just means that as Switchback owners discover these swaps we absolutely must share them! I think I am relatively intelligent, but I also know that I am not as smart as I may think I am. I need help, I need your help so we can both learn and share with others. Help your Brother and Sister find the answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. We will all be stronger by helping each other.
Regards and Blessings to you all, even you non-believers. I have faith in God and God has faith in you!

Old 08-05-2019 | 08:34 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

I know a lot of Dyna guys put the stock touring air shocks on their bikes. really I think any 12 or 13 inch shock would work.

Old 08-05-2019 | 08:58 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I know a lot of Dyna guys put the stock touring air shocks on their bikes. really I think any 12 or 13 inch shock would work.

The only thing I could see interfering with the shocks is the bags. If the shocks were too big in diameter or had a large remote reservoir on them they might hit the bags.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...