General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019 | 10:10 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Seems like the thread is going off track, weren't we talking about Harleys or something like that?
Yup, and the poof's that ride them.

The following users liked this post:
Phil13 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019 | 02:03 PM
bradn
Road Master

Wish I still had mine!

The following 4 users liked this post by bradn:
deadbroke (07-11-2019), Lvrgsp (10-21-2019), rauchman (08-26-2019), Steviemac (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019 | 03:02 PM
Steviemac
1st Gear
Default You need glasses.

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Looks like Harley Davidson cleaned out a warehouse and built a bike out of leftover parts to me.
You should've went to Specsavers lol

Old 07-09-2019 | 03:10 PM
Steviemac
1st Gear
Default Nice machine.

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed103
I agree with your analysis. I have one in Brilliant Silver. I like the concept and do enjoy the bike. Unfortunately, H-D did not do a very good job marketing this bike, including naming it. It is awkward trying to explain it to others. I have converted from the windshield to a batwing fairing, aftermarket from Ebay with correct mounts for the
FLD. I also fabricated a chopped touring trunk mounting bracket. I have a solo seat so I have modified my FLD into a mid-weight touring bike. Herein lies the biggest shortcoming of this model and H-D's failure. The only made the bike for about 4 years and no parts that aren't stock that fit, and none of the other models parts fit either. Every personal modification I have made I had to fabricate from some other parts not designed for the FLD. And now it has been discontinued. To bad a good size and weight. I can also keep up with the bigger bikes because the lighter weight and the 103 engine make it a hot rod. Add phase I and II and you are screaming.

Looks cool!!

Old 07-09-2019 | 03:13 PM
Steviemac
1st Gear
Default In the closet

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Sounds like youve got something to tell us, get off your chest maybe.

Old 07-09-2019 | 03:42 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice
Default Thanks

Thanks. I really do enjoy this bike and am trying to get to a time when I can go on an extended USA Cruise. Because I ride solo the weight is not an issue, although I am drawn toward the Ulra Limited.
Fear not.... I am working on digging out my info and parts numbers for the FLD heel/toe shifter conversion.

Old 07-10-2019 | 06:36 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
YOU , kind sir, are cordially invited to go poof yourself.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (08-26-2019)
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:38 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed103
Thanks. I really do enjoy this bike and am trying to get to a time when I can go on an extended USA Cruise. Because I ride solo the weight is not an issue, although I am drawn toward the Ulra Limited.
Fear not.... I am working on digging out my info and parts numbers for the FLD heel/toe shifter conversion.
waiting with baited breath.....thanks in advance.

Old 07-10-2019 | 06:38 PM
Tumbleweed103
Novice
Wink Heel-Toe shifter for FLD

I was disappointed that my FLD had only a toe shifter and obviously was made that way. Apparently there are many out there who only like the toe shifter, good for you. I like the heel-toe shifter and HD does not make anything that is a direct fit for the FLD.
A. I removed the tow shifter and the shift linkage to begin with.
B. I tried several other heel-toe shifters that people said would work and they did not.
C. I bought a Drag Specialties shifter arm via Dennis Kirk because it had the right size shaft and two positions for the heel-toe levers to attach to. https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/chrome-shifter-shaft-1601-0340.p274086.prd/274086.sku (when you get to DK site it will show an error and cannot find item. Copy and paste 1601-0340 and it will take you to the item)
1. You can just buy the correct size shaft with the two positions without the arm part because it will not work with that arm - too short and is as "S" shape not straight vertical.
D. I bought a extended shifter lever on eBay it is a 9.75" long shifter lever. As you can see from the pic the heel-toe assembly goes beyond the front and back of the floor board to avoid trapping the foot/boot.
E. I took the stock shifter arm and the new one I bought to a welder and had him remove the stock one position shaft from the stock shift arm and replace it with the heel-toe shaft from the Drag Specialties part.
F. I bought shifter pegs that are longer than stock in a design I like. You can use whichever shifter peg you like and is comfortable for you!
G. I reassembled everything placing the stock toe shift lever on first and the extended heel shift lever second (to the outside).. Oh, by the way you need to slide both onto the shaft when you install the shaft to its pivot point or you will be frustrated by the floorboard and will have to back out and start over.
H. I am including a finished pic of my setup and if you have questions about it, ask away. I have had absolutely no issues with the setup after making my final positioning adjustments of the levers.

Happy biking! I also refuse to be aggravated or intimidated by someone who thinks that any other bike but his/hers is a lesser bike. We all have opinions and make choices that suit us. Personally, if you don't like mine I am not offended, just keep your self-serving insulting comments to yourself. "You are better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Also as my loving Mother always said, " If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing."

Old 07-10-2019 | 06:44 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

friend request on the way!! ....thanks tumbles.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...