General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019 | 09:51 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by rocket23
guess what,I'm getting one saturday.......2012 /3252 on the clock.
Congrats. I've never ridden a Switchback but I sat on one in the showroom, and it felt like a bike that I could enjoy.

Old 06-26-2019 | 10:20 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

That's awesome. I owned one for a few years, and took quite a few trips on it.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (08-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019 | 10:47 PM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

WOW! This is an interesting thread, as a past owner of an FLD (Morocco Gold) I can attest to the versatility of the bike. I bounced the 2003 RK off me a few times and totaled it (yeah, operator error) but when I recovered, I wanted a bike that could handle San Francisco/Eastbay traffic, was nimble enough to handle in tight spots, yet could handle a weekend trip. I rode everything at the dealership and it came down to the Lowrider or the FLD, I chose the FLD and IMHO it was best suited for my needs. I loved that bike!

The ONLY reason I have an FLHTK is that my wife would ride with me a bunch and after a weekend trip with some friends who rode Ultras and Road Glides, she said, I want a bigger backrest like them and pointed at my friends Ultra Limited because I am getting tired of the small backrest. I enjoy having her ride with me (as many of you do) and with her blessing, I went out and immediately bought my 2014 FLHTK. I traded in the FLD and they gave me more for it than expected, I rode out with a very good deal, about 3K below MSRP and we haven't regretted the extra comfort for her. My FLD was parked next to its twin in every detail for three days before a husband and wife wanting matching bikes came in and bought both. I ran into them on a HOG ride a couple of months later and they both loved them, last I knew they were still riding them.

Unless you have ridden one for an appreciable amount of time, you truly can't appreciate the bike.

Lvrgsp (10-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019 | 10:58 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

I have always loved the style of the Switchback. I even consider buying one from time to time, but I would have to trade or sell the Road King and I'm just not so sure I would love the Switchback as much as I do the King.
Some folks don't like the wheels but I think they are the best looking wheel HD makes, they kind of remind me of the old Crager SS I had on a few of my old cars back in the day.
I guess my biggest concerns are the vibration and the lack of cruise control. Is there a fix for the vibration? I have heard of people ditching the big muffler and going with a smaller one to try to solve the vibration problem. Anyone know if that works? If so I may be able to over look the lack of cruise control.

rauchman (08-26-2019)
Old 06-27-2019 | 12:45 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Glad you are getting you a switchback, a nice bike for sure. But how many 8 year old threads are you going to bump to let us know this? You can always just create your own thread....

Old 06-27-2019 | 07:09 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
That's awesome. I owned one for a few years, and took quite a few trips on it.

kinda figured when I seen the posts back in the day.......guess it's my turn now,lol

rubberfrog (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019 | 07:11 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shodown220
Glad you are getting you a switchback, a nice bike for sure. But how many 8 year old threads are you going to bump to let us know this? You can always just create your own thread....
lol, I was researching....ok googled switchback problems, and the thread was worth reading, and well it got bumped.....but to answer the question....this is it, kinda like the title too!!!

Lvrgsp (10-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019 | 07:15 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I have always loved the style of the Switchback. I even consider buying one from time to time, but I would have to trade or sell the Road King and I'm just not so sure I would love the Switchback as much as I do the King.
Some folks don't like the wheels but I think they are the best looking wheel HD makes, they kind of remind me of the old Crager SS I had on a few of my old cars back in the day.
I guess my biggest concerns are the vibration and the lack of cruise control. Is there a fix for the vibration? I have heard of people ditching the big muffler and going with a smaller one to try to solve the vibration problem. Anyone know if that works? If so I may be able to over look the lack of cruise control.
I could of sworn Bubba had a kz 1000..........but anyways, mid bolt gets replaced with a pin and hasp set up....real easy.....and there are plenty aftermarket slip ons that do the jo well.....

Old 06-27-2019 | 08:15 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Yup, aftermarket exhaust or a cheap fix with hardware store parts.

I also really dig the Switchback, just never had a chance to own one.

Old 06-27-2019 | 08:43 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Yup, aftermarket exhaust or a cheap fix with hardware store parts.

I also really dig the Switchback, just never had a chance to own one.
"06 I had the 1200 sporty, 2010, traded it for the fatbob....dyna frame....2012, went to an .08 streetglide....kept that til 2018....had a triumph, and then the leg cramps came......back to forward controls, and to be honest stumbled upon the switchback and never really paid it no mind when they hit the showroom floor.in 2012....my bad.,lol

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...