General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:35 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
You know they are coming out with a sequel to Brokeback Mountain. It's a lesbian version called "Fur Traders"
I am sure lots more of us would go see that one!!!

Old 05-21-2013 | 02:18 PM
willbilson
Advanced

I think the SB is a great looking bike and a great concept, but agree with the OP's observations. I would have considered one, but to me, for that price, the bike should have chrome engine parts and cruise control should be available. Seriously, only $1400 less than a RK? Having a bike with cruise control has spoiled me - I would never consider one without it now.

Old 05-21-2013 | 03:10 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the bike but cannot get past the ugly wheels.

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the Switchback. The bike is designed to fit a price point. Start adding better wheels, bigger bags, more paint options, etc. and y'all will be asking why the bike is priced like a Road King.

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:24 PM
BareBones
Tourer

I don't think it is a bad looking bike. The bags are a little small and the wheels are cool but look out of place on that bike. The style of the bike is too old school for those wheels. The name doesn't bother me at all, I definitely don't understand the gay reference made by the op. overall I like it.

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:36 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Good point. The Switchback starts at $16,200 and the Road King Standard (which it essentially copies) starts at $17,600, only $1400 more. I have always thought the same about the Heritage Softail (starting at $17,600) vs. the Road King Classic (at $19,900) although there are more obvious style differences between the RKC and HSC than there are between the Switchback and the RK.
Makes you wonder why HD is discontinuing the RKC. Personally, I think it is the best looking and most versatile bike of their line up. I guess the guys that own them are happy to keep them and don't buy enough new ones.

The Switchback has never done it for me. If I was to get a less comfortable bike it would be the Breakout.

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:43 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I love my switchback and get complements on it everywhere I go. With the weight difference I'll smoke any of the heavier offerings. It suits my purposes just fine....

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:58 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

I agree with OP's observations, a bit of a shame really However I do think the wheels look good, maybe not ideally suited to that model. I confess I am not much of a fan of the model. A colleague of mine actually modified his Dyna with Hard bags and an FL front end and actually produced a good looking and good handling DYNA Bagger. Not sure why the factory took the approach they did, but it obviously appeals to some. Lets see how long the lifespan of this model is ? Factory seems to be quick to terminate slow sales movers these days.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:02 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

The one I bought sat on the dealers showroom so long they put chrome wheels and chrome lowers on it to get it some attention. When I saw it with the chrome wheels I liked it! I test rode it and other than the vibration I wasn't used to(been on a vrod for 4 years)I loved the way it handled and looked. Missed the vrod speed but maybe one day HD will make a vrod touring bike.

The vibration has been fixed , put a tall boy seat on it, a tall LRS windshield, and I'm good to go. I did not want a SG, RK, or RG with all the extra geegaws. So it may not be for everybody but I'm happy with mine!

Name:  Dsc02667resize_zpsf9e26f4e.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  138.1 KB

The following users liked this post:
MacTarnahan (07-06-2019)
Old 05-21-2013 | 06:10 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I think the switchback is one of the best new bikes the moco has come out with. The only thing I would add is the vrod engine and cruise control and I would be looking to get it for my next bike.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...