General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016 | 07:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Any modern Harley is a capable long distance touring bike once you throw saddle bags and a wind screen on it.
No, no, no, no no!
You guys clearly need to head over to the local dealer, where you can be educated about modern motorcycles. In order to travel in excess of 100 miles per day, you simply MUST "upgrade" to a touring model. The small bikes just aren't up to the task. And don't even let the fact that the switchback has the exact same engine and drive train as the touring bikes fool you. These puny machines will outright cripple a fellow whom dares try anything more than "light touring ". I mean jeez, it says so right on the box! Lol

The following users liked this post:
Reindeer (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016 | 08:13 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
head over to the local dealer, where you can be educated about modern motorcycles

To a Harley dealer, to learn about modern motorcycles!

Old 05-02-2016 | 08:16 PM
Jumper1
Tourer

I have thought about it. Never saw one when I bought my Lowrider. Two different dealers told me they can't keep them in stock? I routinely ride more than a hundred miles on the Lowrider without a problem. I have looked at the Switchback as a possible upgrade tho not seriously. I agree the hard bags are narrow. Not everyone needs a touring bike when you are rarely "touring". I also realize that my Lowrider is does not make for a good touring bike two up. I am not a speed demon by any means but I ride with a guy with a road king and I have to get ahead of him in the twisties because the handling is different. Seems like there would be a market for it?

Old 05-02-2016 | 08:47 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jumper1
I also realize that my Lowrider is does not make for a good touring bike two up.
Hummm, cause my Low Rider made for a phenomenal two up touring bike. The rubber mounted engine made for smooth enjoyable rides. The forward controls were extremely comfortable. And a simple seat upgrade made sitting in the saddle till she ran out of gas, easy and enjoyable. I never saw a down side. ��

Attached Thumbnails The Poor Harley Switchback...-bama4089.jpg  

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-02-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2016 | 08:51 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

The Switchback is a fine touring motorcycle. The only thing I wish it also had is cruise control. I like to tour and I don't want a heavier bike.

Old 05-03-2016 | 06:23 AM
kwn36
Road Captain

I was looking hard at the Switchback for a while...They're nice bikes. The one thing that did steer me a way a bit; however, were the re-sale/trade-in values that I was seeing for the bike.

Old 05-03-2016 | 12:26 PM
racerkvn
Tourer

I like the bike. I like the old school hot rod styled wheels too. I wouldn't trade my Heritage for one but wouldn't mind finding one to tinker with. I think chrome factory wheels and lower the whole bike about 2" front and back and it would be a really good looking bike.

Old 05-03-2016 | 03:02 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
To a Harley dealer, to learn about modern motorcycles!
They'll recite brochure copy to you, and the service guys will say 'they all do that.'

Old 05-03-2016 | 03:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
The Switchback is a fine touring motorcycle. The only thing I wish it also had is cruise control. I like to tour and I don't want a heavier bike.
I'm with you. My next bike will likely be a used Switchback or Heritage Softail. My Ultra is too heavy and slow.

Old 05-03-2016 | 03:09 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

IMO the Harley Switchback is the more affordable little brother of the Harley CVO Softail Convertible.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...