General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016 | 04:11 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member

I have to agree. I never liked the looks of it. Too bad because when I see some of the Dynas that guys have added removable bags to and other stuff it makes you realize what the potential could have been.

Old 05-02-2016 | 04:13 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master

Hello Brad, congrats on your new Switchback. I really like those wheels but its just my opinion. Like your add ons. Everyone has a fat boy or a road king, at least the switchback is a bit more rare in a sea of bikes. I test rode one a few years back and thought it rode well. I agree that the bags are too narrow, that should have been improved by now. Honestly I am a bit surprised its still being made, must be selling more than it seems. Plenty of opinions on the internet but you have a cool bike and probably at a good (for a harley) value.

The following users liked this post:
bradn (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016 | 04:18 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Cool

somebody said switcback is gone for 2017

Old 05-02-2016 | 05:17 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

I couldn't agree more ........................

Old 05-02-2016 | 06:06 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

My only problem with the Switchback is that for $1,500.00 more, I could get a Road King. But I'd have to ride them both to know for sure which one I want.

Old 05-02-2016 | 06:08 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but I really like the FLD & if I were in the market for a new Harley it is at the top of the list. I ride a FXRT daily & there is something to be said about a touring bike that weights less than 700 lbs. I'd hesitate to go down some of the forest service & gravel roads on a 900 lb bagger.

Old 05-02-2016 | 06:34 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I didn't read the whole thread, but I really like the FLD & if I were in the market for a new Harley it is at the top of the list. I ride a FXRT daily & there is something to be said about a touring bike that weights less than 700 lbs. I'd hesitate to go down some of the forest service & gravel roads on a 900 lb bagger.
I think the Switchback is more of a "daytripper" than a touring bike. Some of the guys in this thread say they'd want bigger bags on the Switchback, but if Harley did that they'd need more hardware to support the additional load.

Old 05-02-2016 | 06:53 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Any modern Harley is a capable long distance touring bike once you throw saddle bags and a wind screen on it.

Old 05-02-2016 | 07:11 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Any modern Harley is a capable long distance touring bike once you throw saddle bags and a wind screen on it.
Sure they are. I saw most of the USA on a Honda with no bags or windshield.
My brother used to tour on his Dyna with with an aftermarket windshield and leather bags. Now he does the same with a Fat Boy.

Last edited by RK4ME; 05-02-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2016 | 07:15 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I think the Switchback is more of a "daytripper" than a touring bike. Some of the guys in this thread say they'd want bigger bags on the Switchback, but if Harley did that they'd need more hardware to support the additional load.
Adding a TourPak gives enough cargo room for me.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...