General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015 | 12:19 PM
Super08
Supporter

Thx

Old 12-30-2015 | 01:06 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Freak Show
the switchback felt like a smaller roadking. but it sure did vibrate, but to me the roadking felt like a whale. to each his own
There was a problem with the exhaust pipe vibrating....something to do with the 2-1 exhaust pipe transferring vibes to the chassis. Some owners solved the problem with a clevis pin mod or a new exhaust system. From what I understand Harley fixed the vibration problem for the 2015 model year.

Old 12-30-2015 | 02:04 PM
mglax13
Road Master

As far as the name goes, I'm kinda surprised people are saying it doesn't make sense, it actually makes perfect sense. Here we have a bike that's designed to do double duty. Be a cruiser, but also easily switched over to being a bagger. Being motorcyclists, we all like twisty roads, so what makes more sense than naming a motorcycle that can easily switched back and forth after a road that's very twisty, a "switch back".

Old 12-30-2015 | 03:08 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

the bike itself looks pretty good without the bags, which was why i wanted to test ride it. i'm not a fan of solid bags, but they would of been nice for trips. i just didn't like the way it handled. i'm only 6'1 but felt like i was a giant on it.

Last edited by Freak Show; 12-30-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2015 | 05:03 PM
chief08
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
You know they are coming out with a sequel to Brokeback Mountain. It's a lesbian version called "Fur Traders"
I Thought that it was beaver trapers

Old 12-30-2015 | 05:51 PM
chief08
Road Master

Originally Posted by mheck74
I love mine!
looks good with apes

Old 12-30-2015 | 09:09 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
I understand the style of the spoke wheels appeal to many but ever since I had a rear wheel spoke failure I haven't run a spoke wheel since. Besides, do you really want to run with a tube/tire, not me.

I like the idea of one post about having a modular road king, but I would not want spoke wheels on it.

I've had my FLD going on 4 years now and for the most part I'm still happy with it. But I don't see any other HD I'd have that's currently available. I do not want a "land Yacht" loaded down with gee gaws and electronics. I don't like the standard wheels either but I love the chrome ones. In fact, they were dealer installed on mine before I bought it and that's what caught my eye. After a test ride I was ready to buy it. The performance is a long way from the vrod I was used to but I've finally adjusted to it and even for a big guy I'm pretty comfortable on it(thanks to Mean City Cycles seat mod).

Nice looking scoot right there.

Old 05-02-2016 | 02:13 PM
bradn
Road Master

Well, I just spent that last hour reading the entire thread. Wow, talk about feeling like I came home with an ugly stepchild...

Nonetheless, Just wanted to add that I bought my 2015 FLD new, and I really love the bike. There are things that I wish where different, but overall, I have no regrets. I do wish the bags where at least a little wider. I use it to commute to work a few days a week, and my laptop barely fits. But it does fit, so I can live with it. The jury is still out on the wheels. There ok, but not sure they really fit the rest of the bike in terms of styling.

I have no vibration issues, but I did put nightstick on it as soon as I purchased it. So not sure if that helped or not.

As for mods, I added the nightstick slip-on, Badlander seat (I kept the stock for longer rides), detachable backrest/rack, speedo/tach, road bar (not in yet), chrome primary, and chrome battery and electrical cover.

Will probably not put much more into it, as I would like to move up to a Street Glide in a couple of years. But again, It rides and handles nice, especially in fast turns. Not sure what's not to like, but we all are entitled to an opinion.

Here is my "Poor Harley Switchback"

Attached Thumbnails The Poor Harley Switchback...-img_1934.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016 | 03:22 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Does Harley or the aftermarket offer a wheel for the FLD?

Old 05-02-2016 | 03:51 PM
bradn
Road Master

Yea, there is actually quite a bit to chose from. But at 1k per wheel, I'm not sure I want to go there on this bike. If I were going to keep it for 5 or 6 years, no question I would swap them out. But will probably stay with what came on it.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...