General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015 | 03:14 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

".Blackline and Breakout. I hate both of those names."

Yea; every time I see "Breakout", I think of herpes. The bike looks much better than the name implies!

The Co HAS come out with some douchey sounding names..."Fat Boy" is one of them. Apparently, the Co. doesn't realize that vehicles are always of the female persuasion...but if they called it a "Fat Girl", every lesbo for miles around would have kittens & they would prolly pull the name.

Here's the problem with the Switchback--it's too "Dyna-y" for touring guys, & too "tour-y" for Dyna lovers. And,aside from the ugly wheels, I just cannot STAND a bare FLH type fender...why I never bought a RK Custom. Just buy a Lowrider, put bags & windsheild on, & you got the best looking Dyna out there (Since the CO discontinued the SuperGlide Custom).

Here's what I think would be a big seller...The MoCo should make a RoadKing that is modular, like the FLH of the 60s & 70s. A Roadking with removable bags & fairings. That is something hat could make me plunk down the Benjamins.

Last edited by dickey; 12-29-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2015 | 03:23 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hippie49
Don't like the wheels at all and:

They should have designed the hard bags larger where the shock would be covered.

IMO.
If i was a betting man, I would bet a million bucks the designers were given a certain amount of feedom on most everything EXCEPT that. I bet they were told specificlly that they better NOT cover up those chrome shocks. Otherwise it just looks like a Heritage with hard bags.

Old 12-29-2015 | 03:44 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
If i was a betting man, I would bet a million bucks the designers were given a certain amount of feedom on most everything EXCEPT that. I bet they were told specificlly that they better NOT cover up those chrome shocks. Otherwise it just looks like a Heritage with hard bags.

Well, I'm not going to take that bet but when it come to new models the designers should have carte blanche on their ideas.

Those exposed shocks are what kills it for me and I could live with the wheels if I had to but you are probably right about the chrome shocks being a selling point when it's just the opposite for me.

....and the Heritage with the hard bags looks good imo.

Old 12-29-2015 | 04:07 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

I put 5000 miles on a 13 SB. I was drawn to it by is 100 lb light, hard bag, FL front end and boards. The bike was quick with its 103 but there was this nasty vibration caused by the exhaust, there are pages and pages of fixes that basically call for one of the muffler mounts to be left loose. The bike scrapped its boards badly, It was not a small Road King at all. The bags flopped around keeping time with the muffler that had to be run loose. Traded it off for my Road King and the 1st thing noticed pulling out of the lot was how much better the King was at slow speeds even with its heavy weight. The SB is a nice bike but no where near the class of a Road King, I suppose it never was meant to be.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-29-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2015 | 04:13 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hippie49

....and the Heritage with the hard bags looks good imo.
Oh, I concur completey!

Old 12-29-2015 | 05:50 PM
Uboofer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Carl '69

Other ways to do it as well- check out the FL-Dyna social group. Very long thread, but TONS of info. Not a Switchback group per se, but a bunch guys who've FL-d their Dynas. Some very cool stuff on there.
Thanks I am already a member of that forum. It's just surprising for a model that has been around for a number of years that the MoCo doesn't support it much. Granted it may not be the most popular model but it would be nice to at least see more items. They spent money in designing the model so the have some vested interest in it.

Old 12-29-2015 | 07:59 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

I understand the style of the spoke wheels appeal to many but ever since I had a rear wheel spoke failure I haven't run a spoke wheel since. Besides, do you really want to run with a tube/tire, not me.

I like the idea of one post about having a modular road king, but I would not want spoke wheels on it.

I've had my FLD going on 4 years now and for the most part I'm still happy with it. But I don't see any other HD I'd have that's currently available. I do not want a "land Yacht" loaded down with gee gaws and electronics. I don't like the standard wheels either but I love the chrome ones. In fact, they were dealer installed on mine before I bought it and that's what caught my eye. After a test ride I was ready to buy it. The performance is a long way from the vrod I was used to but I've finally adjusted to it and even for a big guy I'm pretty comfortable on it(thanks to Mean City Cycles seat mod).

Name:  DSC03105_zpsf4e7dt6g.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  242.9 KB

Old 12-29-2015 | 08:38 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dickey
Just buy a Lowrider, put bags & windsheild on, & you got the best looking Dyna out there (Since the CO discontinued the SuperGlide Custom).

You mean like this Dickey?

Name:  IMG_0553_1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  195.8 KB

My Low Rider. Although, I still really like the Switchback.

Old 12-29-2015 | 09:13 PM
ccislander
Cruiser

I don't know why all the comparison between the Switchback and the Road King. They're two different bikes and both have their shortcomings. I have a '13 Switchback and '07 Road King and ride the Switchback 90% of the time (including road trips) just because I usually don't feel like dealing with the bulkiness of the Road King.
Solution to all this this - gotta have more than one bike!!

Old 12-29-2015 | 10:18 PM
Super08
Supporter

Originally Posted by traffic jam
You mean like this Dickey?

My Low Rider. Although, I still really like the Switchback.
Nice.
I did the same thing. I liked the idea behind the Switchback but it's look just didn't do it for me. I bought a '14 Low Rider and equipped it with a quick attach windshield, saddlebags, and backrest w/rack. I can go from a bare bike to one setup for touring in a couple of minutes. One of Harley's better ideas was the quick docking hardware. I also have a set of soft lowers to fit the moustache bars.

Name:  IMG_1101.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  240.2 KB

Last edited by Super08; 12-30-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...