General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015 | 01:53 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by alcotune
I do like the wheels. If I was in the market for a bike now it would be high on my list.
I agree. Install a cheap Memphis Shades batwing fairing and I would take one in a minute.

Last edited by Clint44; 12-26-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:51 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I'm not sure but the "Switchback" name may imply that the front end is being "switched back" to a FL front end because the original Super Glide was an FL with XL forks. I saw a comment on the name being "gay" but HD doesn't just throw names out for the hell of it, I think its a heritage thing. The Dyna frame did get smaller length wise, which is why the Switchback loos like a short wheelbase Road king. It may have been a bad idea, and H-D will most likely cease this line making it a collectible bike. That may be a good thing if you are into bike values.

Old 12-28-2015 | 03:10 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the Switchback. It would be nice if Harley offered a laced wheel option.

Old 12-28-2015 | 03:20 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbc1200
I agree, although I hadn't thought that deep into it. When I first saw one I just thought it didn't look "right." Something was unbalanced or weird that in some way was unpleasing to my eye. They don't flow at all.
Had the very same thoughts when I was window shopping. The design of that front wheel just did not sit well with me.
I'm glad I bought a FXDL '15.

Old 12-28-2015 | 03:31 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Heres what I dont get... Personally, I rode one of these when I looked for my 15RK. IMO the reason they are sitting is because they are priced too close to a RK. The wheels, I happen to like them. A bike being Gay? Cmon now.. Just curious, do you know what a switchback is?

The bike itself happens to be a nice ride and if it had spokes, it would be a close choice to a modern Duo or Electra Glide as stated

Old 12-28-2015 | 03:33 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
I don't get the vibration thing. Aren't they the same motor & frame as all the Dynas? Why don't THEY have a vibration problem?

Here's how to fix the bike. Get rid of those FUGLY wheels for spokes, 16" front & rear, add a lightbar & some 2-tone paint. Now you have something I would consider.

I like the vibrations my '15 FXDL gives me as I like the vibrations my '12 1200C Sportster gives me. They are HD's....... vibrations and all.
So yep I agree with you Dickey and I don't want to fix it.

Old 12-28-2015 | 05:43 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

I Like FLD instead of "switchback", yep it sounds gay.
I was going to buy one (I was able to see past those ugly wheels) but my wife (God bless her) talked me into buying the Heritage instead.

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:14 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDave13
I Like FLD instead of "switchback", yep it sounds gay.
I was going to buy one (I was able to see past those ugly wheels) but my wife (God bless her) talked me into buying the Heritage instead.
There's several names Harley has given their model that I don't like and I've had two...Blackline and Breakout. I hate both of those names.

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:26 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

Don't like the wheels at all and:

They should have designed the hard bags larger where the shock would be covered.

IMO.

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:27 PM
graygoat
Road Master

I had a 13 Switch, bought it May 2014 with 2500 miles and put over 10,000 more on and traded for my Triglide in Oct this year. I liked everything about the Switch and would still own it if I had the space & $$$. I liked the lighter wt and the power to wt ratio, it was nimble & quick. My wife has hip and knee issues (she 62 & me 67) and could not ride (2 up) the Switch very long. So, we traded for the Tri and a more comfortable ride. If I only rode solo, I would still have the Switch. As they say, to each his own.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...