General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014 | 07:08 AM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Default To each his own...

I just don't understand all the vitriol over this bike. First, yes, I own one. I have had it for just over a year now and I have zero complaints and plenty of compliments and aside from the solo seat and a couple bolt-ons, it is pretty much stock. Here are a few facts:

1. The unladen seat height is identical to the Street Glide
2. The wheelbase is only ONE inch shorter than the Road King (I'll wait till you get your tape measure)
3. It is a similar looking fork to other models but it the internals are proprietary to the model and, yes, they did address the rake.
4. It is 100 lbs lighter than the RK, but hardly a light weight cruiser. (only 8 lbs. lighter than a Deluxe)
5. The bags are smaller than the touring models, but I can fit all I will ever need for a few day trip in them. (I figured the purists would remember the days when all you need is a bed roll strapped to the forks for a cross country trip. Now they want more luggage room than my wife's SUV)
6. You see identity crisis, I see versatile. Most of the time I don't need the bags so they stay at home. Makes a good looking cruiser, and a lot easier to check tire pressure. When its love bug season here I toss on the windshield so I have just one thing to scrape them from instead of my face and glasses and helmet, and smile...
7. Any resemblence to a metric bike is most likely the other way around. A Shadow wouldn't be a Shadow without styling cues from HD. Afterall, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Or so they say.

Now, I'm not hurt or saddened by all the negative press for my bike on here. Just mostly bewildered. The syling is purely subjective. There are no facts there. Just opinion. That's why they make a bunch of different styles. And is it a good bike for ladies? Heck yeah. A little lighter and lower always helps. But I'll tell you this, there are WAY more women riding Street Glides and Heritage Softails around here than these. So, I guess you touring bike guys are the ones that picked the girls bikes. Right? (Truth be told, my previous bike was an 09 FLHX, so I'm guilty of it too) My opinion? If you want some real "What was the MoCo thinking?" bikes, I look at the Rocker C, Breakout, FatBob, Softail Slim. I don't hate 'em. I just don't care for the look, nor do I see very many on the roads. But I want HD to thrive and be able to give customers every possible option, so I say "To each his own".

One last thing, I won't hide behind an online post. I've said all this to plenty of guys in person who just don't get the Switchback. Don't like my bike? Fine. I'll still shake your hand and drink a beer with ya and swap stories. At the end of the day we all love the wind in our face and enjoy nice bikes. That's enough for me.

The following users liked this post:
heavyd1 (07-09-2019)
Old 04-30-2014 | 07:25 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Any Dyna is a great bike, just think if they spent a bit more time on the design it would look a whole lot better but YMMV and that's fine...

Old 04-30-2014 | 07:28 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bjewell
And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?......
You think Switchback is gay, but Softail isn't? LOL

Last edited by mmancuso; 04-30-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2014 | 09:44 AM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
You know they are coming out with a sequel to Brokeback Mountain. It's a lesbian version called "Fur Traders"
They changed the name to "Lickalotapuss"

Old 04-30-2014 | 03:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

This old thread has gone on long enough for the negative posters to have been proven wrong. the Switchback has sold enough to continue it's availability. the HD marketplace has proven that there is a niche for the bike.

Old 04-30-2014 | 04:01 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Originally Posted by dgdamore
It was only a matter of time as the Moco likes like to mix and match parts, apply a snappy name to it and sell it as innovation or even worse, a "custom". It's like Pizza Hut or Taco Bell really. It's still the same sauce, cheese and bread but with a new name this week.

REALLY!

And other than the vrod, just how many bikes that HD makes are not a mix and match of off the shelf parts thrown together with a "snappy" name even as far back as the Duo Glide?

If it wasn't for the FLD I wouldn't even own an HD!

Old 04-30-2014 | 04:14 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
REALLY!

And other than the vrod, just how many bikes that HD makes are not a mix and match of off the shelf parts thrown together with a "snappy" name even as far back as the Duo Glide?

If it wasn't for the FLD I wouldn't even own an HD!
This is my point exactly. You've got a very firm grasp of the obvious.

Old 04-30-2014 | 04:42 PM
MiniWolf

I think having the 'parts bin' models serves a purpose and is a good way to move bikes. Most people mod the crap out of their bikes and are after something specific. The numerous stock models offer something right off the shelf or at least get someone in the general vicinity of where they want to be.

All vehicle manufactuers do this. Most full sized SUV's are usually just full-size V8 pickups without the open bed and more creature comforts. They give it a fancy name and market it towards Soccer Moms who prefer an SUV over a Pickup. The same applies for 'sport' models of sedans. The Switchback is just a Super Glide dressed up like a touring bike. Someone will like it and be looking for it.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 04-30-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2015 | 06:12 PM
mheck74
Novice

I love mine!

Old 12-26-2015 | 12:38 PM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

Well FXRS-cons and FXDXT didn't sell well but were probably some of the better performing bikes.Not so much glitzy but more utility.
Only years later did people realize the value of these.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...