General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 10:19 AM
BarrettsPrivateer
Cruiser

I don't see many around here, kinda don't think it'll be in the lineup very long. I think they've tried several dynas set up a little more touring friendly over the years, dyna convertible, super glide t sport, now the switchback. Never have seen many of any of them around here, they don't seem to sell as well as the street bobs. If I was smaller I'd have taken a better look at a switchback before picking up the street glide, but I tend to like bikes a little larger.

Old 05-21-2013 | 10:22 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

I really like the concept. The front fender and wheel look great and Dynas are fantastically fun bikes. But what always got me was the price - literally for a few bucks more, you get a "full size" touring bike.

I seriously considered the Switchback but the price, smaller bags, and about 2" shorter than a touring model pointed me towards the RK more.

Now that being said, I believe the market for the Switchback is likely towards a solo rider who doesn't need large bags nor the air suspension, etc. But that market is rather limited.

Old 05-21-2013 | 10:47 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

It just screams Road Queen for me.

Isn't this bike be targeted by HD for women??

Old 05-21-2013 | 10:49 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pumba11
It just screams Road Queen for me.

Isn't this bike be targeted by HD for women??

The bike should be pretty quick, definitely faster than my Streetglide. I have no problem with the size and I don't see it as a "girl's bike." They could have done something so much better though, really bring out the Panhead roots...

Old 05-21-2013 | 12:44 PM
Brian73
Advanced

Thought I would post a pic so you could see possibilities of the switchback. I have had mine 7 months now and love it. It is quick, lite, and rides great. Plus it can be stripped down in a minute for a in town cruiser. I know its not for everyone but best fit for me right now.

Attached Thumbnails The Poor Harley Switchback...-switchback-pic-2-640x416-.jpg  

Last edited by Brian73; 05-21-2013 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
todd493 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-21-2013 | 12:49 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I think they are the best looking wheels Harley makes.

Shakey

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:19 PM
13Fld
Intermediate

Love my 13 switchback, definitely faster than my 02 EG and close to same ride. Bags are smaller but I mostly ride it to work, and having raised 5 children I really don't care if someone thinks it's a girls bike. Clay

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:25 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 13Fld
Love my 13 switchback, definitely faster than my 02 EG and close to same ride. Bags are smaller but I mostly ride it to work, and having raised 5 children I really don't care if someone thinks it's a girls bike. Clay
Those that call it a girls bike are usually riding pigs themselves. (on and off their bikes)

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:27 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
I really like the concept. The front fender and wheel look great and Dynas are fantastically fun bikes. But what always got me was the price - literally for a few bucks more, you get a "full size" touring bike.
Good point. The Switchback starts at $16,200 and the Road King Standard (which it essentially copies) starts at $17,600, only $1400 more. I have always thought the same about the Heritage Softail (starting at $17,600) vs. the Road King Classic (at $19,900) although there are more obvious style differences between the RKC and HSC than there are between the Switchback and the RK.

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:32 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

You know they are coming out with a sequel to Brokeback Mountain. It's a lesbian version called "Fur Traders"

The following 5 users liked this post by Hammerhead Pat:
bradn (06-27-2019), CaffeineBuzz (08-05-2019), Norcalsvt (07-07-2019), RDFDJD (06-30-2019), Vec (07-09-2019)

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...