General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:28 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
^ you're probably some obese tub of lard. Go back to your geezer glide and 200 miles a year old man.
Wow, just because you ride a chick's bike doesn't mean you have to get nasty. You little guys sure to get offended easily.

Old 07-13-2013 | 10:35 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry man. Somebody must have lit the fuse on my tampon.

Old 07-13-2013 | 11:12 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey you all should look up ackman1968 he built the original
switchback 06 Dyna, fat boy front end, Heritage front wheel,
and front fender, fat bob rear shocks, and a Street Glide rear
fender. About the only difference in looks would be the exhaust,
saddle bags, and the front end.

Old 07-13-2013 | 02:55 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Check out this Switchback, badass! Sorry if this is duplicated..

Old 07-21-2013 | 09:35 PM
Sticky4
Tourer

I'm very happy with mine, I'm not very tall didn't want the weight of a full dresser!!

Here is mine so far, I say so far because I still have a ton more to do:
21" front wheels ( on the way)
Lowered front end
Arnott air ride and blocks so I can drag the ***
Gloss black out all of the chrome

The following users liked this post:
bjewell (12-29-2018)
Old 09-13-2013 | 02:18 PM
seabee_biker
Advanced

I bought a new Switchback a few months ago. I really couldn't be happier with it. Sure there are small things I will probably change, as we all do with a new (or "new to us") bike. Overall it is a great fit for me, and that's what this is all about in my opinion. It's my 2nd new HD (next to my 09 Street Glide) and my 4th HD overall. It is also my favorite. No bike is perfect. But we find the bike that is perfect for us at the time we buy it, and just ride. Unless we are all designers and R&D for Harley Davidson, we will never know the true reason for the creation of any bike, other than what they present to us. There isn't one of us who really falls in love with every model they produce. But that's why they make different models. The person who wants to tour the countryside isn't going to buy a Sportster Seventy Two. You get the point, and I believe we all know this stuff, too. It's fun to duke it out once in a while to make our voices heard. (Like I'm doing right now I guess...)

I'm not one to post on here, as you can probably see. I like to take in all the advice and stories and whatever else I can find to learn more about the bikes I love. Oh, and the one point of the OP that I didn't see addressed in all 17 pages of this thread...the name. I am not sure what the intention was from the MOCO when they named it but I think it's pretty perfect. 1)Because it's up for interpretation and that alone creates a stir about the bike, and 2)The definition of 'switchback' is a sharp corner on a winding (usually mountainous) road. Perfect for a shorter, lighter, nimbler bike in their lineup. I'm actually surprised with all the miles between all of us, that someone didn't catch that, but I digress. I'm not pointing fingers.

Some great looking bikes on here and good conversation! Keep it up!

Old 09-13-2013 | 02:43 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO the Switchback may be the most versatile and useful bike HD has ever produced.

I think of it this way....the Road King, Heritage Softtail and the Switchback are basically intended for the same type of rider for the same purpose....ammenities such as bags, windshild, comfy seat. Capable of cross country riding, but without the fairing, stereo and all that stuff. Same type of bikes, three different chassis.

The difference is that the Switchback looks good stripped down without the bags and windshield, it weighs considerably less & handles better than the Road King in the touring line, and outhandles the Heritage in the softail family by a long shot. It easily outhandles both the RK & Heritage for these reasons, making it almost the perfect bike for someone who wants a nimble bike that can actually carry some **** with them in stock form.

If I were going to trade right now, it would be on the top of my list with the RK. HOWEVER, for another $1,200 you can have a new Road King...& although it's a much heavier bike, it has better suspension, better brakes, and rides better.

As far as the wheels go....I think the Switchback wheels are the best looking stock wheels HD makes.
Yes, some other color choices would be good but I like black so I'm all good. I do like the pearl white color...looks awesome in person.

Old 09-13-2013 | 02:52 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbc1200
I agree, although I hadn't thought that deep into it. When I first saw one I just thought it didn't look "right." Something was unbalanced or weird that in some way was unpleasing to my eye. They don't flow at all.
Exactly...didn't seem right so I looked past them.

Old 09-13-2013 | 03:30 PM
KiNgPiG
Long Time Member

Hi,
I bought a new 103ci Switchback in 2012, had remap A/C and V/H slip-on, seemed a good bike at first, but the front brake started to cause concern and was not getting fixed properly. One or two other things irritated me with it and dealer remap was flawed so it got changed for my second Fatty at another better dealer.
I only did about 1400 miles on the Switchback but it did move well for a Harley,was fairly comfy for one, and for me the bags were just fine.I always thought the name was lame though.
Its not a bad bike i guess. It handled quite well too. But i dont miss it like any other HDs i have owned.
Pic of it in my album on here.

Old 09-13-2013 | 03:39 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Originally Posted by seabee_biker
The definition of 'switchback' is a sharp corner on a winding (usually mountainous) road. Perfect for a shorter, lighter, nimbler bike in their lineup. I'm actually surprised with all the miles between all of us, that someone didn't catch that
I DID!!!!!

Name:  dragon20132_zpsd8b67571.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  52.9 KB

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...