General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013 | 06:56 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

I don't get the issue of the bags being "too small" or not looking good because they don't cover the shocks, but hey, I think the touring bike size bags with a tour pack makes them look like a motor home. But that's fine if you need that.

As for spoke wheels, to each his own, but having broken/loosened some spokes over the years I don't want them, ever, again!

Old 05-27-2013 | 07:35 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

I checked them out for about a second. Butt ugly colors & bags-B-small. It's a Dyna & no matter what the MoCo adds to it doesn't change a thing. IMHO, the FXR is one of the best bikes Harley ever built. It was labor intensive to build the frame so that's the reason they stoped building them. I'm guessing if they would have used the same engine to frame mounting as FXR, the Dyna would be better. The FXRP (police) was a great bike for long road trips.

Old 07-11-2013 | 06:27 PM
Pamoola
Novice

au contraire. I have the 2012 Ember Red Sunglo, bought 9/2011, which I appropriately named Dorothy (because she sparkles just like the shoes, of course). Yes the bags are too small, and HD didn't consider bag guards, so those points are taken. But being 5' 1", now that I've shrunk & lost an inch, she's perfect for me with the Super Reach seat. She's my 4th bike, but my 1st Harley. I "get it" now. I got it the moment I throttled it out of the parking lot at Detroit Harley the day I picked her up. And at $18,500 WITH the chrome wheels and Super Reach seat, I think I got a deal. In fact, I know I did, after checking with 3 other HD dealers in MI & WI, & they all basically said, "and you walked out of the showroom? At eighteen-five??"

Last edited by Pamoola; 07-11-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2013 | 08:59 PM
rod18cdz
Tourer

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
It looks nice but why not just skip the mods and purchase a Softail Deluxe instead? Outside of the exposed shock, they will end up looking similar and you won't waste money making a Dyna look like an old-school classic Softail--one you buy cheaper when the costs of mods are factored in.
I don't consider Softails old school. Aren't they made up to look like hard tails?

Old 07-11-2013 | 09:43 PM
Switchback12
Road Master

Take a good look at how the bags fit with the fender, shocks, and passenger pegs, the bags fit the bike, bigger bags would be out of proportion and affect passenger legroom. Mine has had no excessive vibration problems with 16k miles of riding. Got a taller LSR windshield that used the stock hardware. Love mine.

Old 07-11-2013 | 11:19 PM
Pamoola
Novice

Wow! Got that loaded down.

Old 07-12-2013 | 12:58 AM
willbilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
I was intrigued by the Switchback when it was introduced and I agree with some of the criticisms as well as some of the praise. I think Bejewell is spot on with the 20% too small bag comment. But, I totally disagree with the color criticism. 1st of all, we all know the best color is black - and the FLD comes in Black. Secondly, I actually really like the 5 spoke wheels - black or chrome. Thirdly - I like the less is more concept. Which is saying something considering I ride an Ultra.

The right tool for the right job - the FLD suites it's role imo. If I had more $$ and more room, I would like to have one for anything less than the long rides I do. I think the overall aesthetic of the bike is true to the heritage of the FL. I love the bikes that forum members have posted up - nice!

To the guy that had the V-Rod- you can easily get that bike up to 100/120 like my bike, and weighing hundreds of pounds less, it should fly.

My only real disappointment is that they cheaped out on the chrome. I think it's unfortunate that a $16+k bike doesn't have the same chrome primary and heads as the other bikes.
You hit the nail on the head there. It SHOULD cost less than a RK since everything (almost) is smaller/lighter. But a buyer should not have to bring it to a RK's price point just to get to the basic chrome level of the RK - as an example why can a Superglide have all that chrome at its price? That is what really rules it out for me. Also, like all non-touring bikes, it CANNOT be ordered with cruise control. That to me is fatal. IMO Harley needs to go all fly-by-wire (or at least as an option) with CC available on ALL models. If they wanted my advice, that would be the #1.

Old 07-12-2013 | 01:13 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

This is not a judgement on the bike. I think you could make one look great, or just dig it stock if that's your thing.

However, is the Switchback smaller than any other "tourer"? It just seems kinda modestly sized and modestly styled for a Harley. I think that may be part of the issue the OP was getting at.

Old 07-12-2013 | 02:43 AM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior

No Body Wants To Play With a Switchback In The Box

Old 07-12-2013 | 05:49 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Kinda looks like every stripped down FL made between '58 and '84. That's the classic Harley look.
I never road one but I got a sneaky suspicion she would seem very smooth to me.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...