General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013 | 07:37 AM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by mainboom150
ill first say i didnt read every single point made in this tread but i read a good deal. a point i wanted to make that i didnt see covered was about the comment made about the cheap plastic forks on the touring bikes( im paraphrasing). the switchback has the same exact forks on it as the road king, the street glide, and the ultra. yes they put touring forks on it. reason behing this was to get rid of the crap ride of the dyna. yes i know ill get flamed for that comment but someing from someone who owns a sg its so true.
Just like everyone who is oh so overwhelmed how " great " the breakout is. that bike makes you feel like your squatting to take a dump. its all personal preferance in the end. i personally think the switchback looks kinda nice for a wanna be bagger. and yes it does make me think of the road king which i honestly think they made it as the poor mans roadking. i mean the forks are the same it has hardbags all your missing is the cruise. as far as the colors them are basic colors how much you think that bike would be is it had a greenflek option another grand atleast just for the paint. so imo it is the "poormans" roadking......
Wow. I never new the Switchback had the same forks as the RK. Learn something new every day. Pitty it's bullshit.

Please compare the two parts diagrams below. The Switchback, I believe, is the first Harley to use a modern cartridge fork, whereas the RK uses an oil bath fork.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-FORK-ASSEMBLY

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....RING-MODELS%29

The Switchback ain't no wannabe bagger or poor mans roadking. Dynamically, it runs rings around them. 100lbs lighter, best forks on any Harley, and the same 103 motor. Could do with a second front disc. If Harley offered it without bags and screen, we'd be talking about it being a modern interpretation of the first swingarm Harley FLH's.

Personally, I think the stock seat makes them look too tall in the rear end which gives them an awkward stance. Fitting a solo seat, or low profile seat cure that. The stock exhaust is pretty lame too.

Cheers

Old 05-26-2013 | 08:28 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbc1200
I agree, although I hadn't thought that deep into it. When I first saw one I just thought it didn't look "right." Something was unbalanced or weird that in some way was unpleasing to my eye. They don't flow at all.
Hit the nail on the head.

Old 05-26-2013 | 07:19 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
The Switchback, I believe, is the first Harley to use a modern cartridge fork, whereas the RK uses an oil bath fork.
The FXDX had fully adjustable cartridge forks.

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
The Switchback ain't no wannabe bagger or poor mans roadking. Dynamically, it runs rings around them. 100lbs lighter, best forks on any Harley, and the same 103 motor.
Best forks on any Harley? I don't think so. I'll take the fully adjustable upside-down Showas on the XR-1200X Sportster any day over what's on the Switchback. Although, I will give Harley credit for going in the right direction with cartridge forks on the Switchback.

Overall, I don't find anything wrong with the Switchback. I think it looks just fine. We'd all put our own customizing touches on it to make it our own.

I was buying parts at the dealership the other day and I saw a dark blue Switchback on the showroom floor. I though it looked pretty damn nice. I wouldn't mind riding one to see how it handled. Handling wise, anything would be an improvement on my Street Glide.

Old 05-26-2013 | 07:55 PM
MiniWolf

As far as aesthetics, it has an overall generic look to it--kind of like someone at Harley R&D raided the parts bin just to come up with a new model.

Old 05-26-2013 | 08:25 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
As far as aesthetics, it has an overall generic look to it--kind of like someone at Harley R&D raided the parts bin just to come up with a new model.

I can't think of any model harley that doesn't fit that description, out of the box, except maybe the Rocker or the Vrod.

Old 05-26-2013 | 09:59 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

Back in 2011 when I was looking for a new (or late-model used) bike, the SwitchBack caught my eye in the showroom.

My first reaction was, "a 3/4-sized Road King" (even though it's on a Dyna frame). Sitting on it, it "picked up" light and easy, and had the same "heft" about it as did my old FXRS "Low Rider Sport". I haven't ridden one, but I'll guess it's a good handler, though I've heard something about "too much vibration" on them, vis-a-vis other Dyna models.

It looks like the front end has the same attachment dimensions as does a Road King, so anything that would drop into the detachable mounts on the Road King would fit the SwitchBack as well. I'm thinking, "removable fairing" -- for both wind protection and MUSIC. Not sure how a full-sized batwing fairing would look on it, though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already tried it.

As others have mentioned, the bags are too small. I'd like to see them longer and wider -- perhaps with a "curved cutout" around the shocks. Didn't look to me like they'd have enough carrying capacity.

Old 05-26-2013 | 10:42 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
The FXDX had fully adjustable cartridge forks.

Best forks on any Harley? I don't think so. I'll take the fully adjustable upside-down Showas on the XR-1200X Sportster any day over what's on the Switchback.
They did. So the FLD has the best for on any curently available Harley.

Old 05-26-2013 | 11:10 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
This is true enough. As someone else said, same can be said for most Harley's. But in the case of the FLD, it's seems to more to recreate the past, than to create a new bike as such. The FLD is dimensonally almost exactly like the red FLH below.

Stock FLD Switchback

Early 60's FLH Duo Glide

My FLD after a mod or two.

The bags really are too small, both from a carrying capacity and asthetic point of view and the mag wheels are a matter of personal preference. No prizes for guessing my choice.

All those that say it's not a man sized Harley are effectively saying that about all swingarm Harley's before the touring chassis. Yes it's small, just like Harley's used to be.
Cheers

Old 05-26-2013 | 11:28 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Oops

Last edited by Sleeko; 05-26-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2013 | 11:34 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Meh, I like the look. The front end forks look more like an FL softtail than a touring bike. Has that tapered tube.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...