General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poor Harley Switchback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013 | 06:28 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks.

I like the switchback...just needs laced wheels and painted latches to hide the fact they are not proportionate to the size of the bag itself.

~Joe

Old 05-23-2013 | 08:53 PM
TFK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bjewell
I was at Sac Harley the other day and they had a bunch of bikes in, including many Japanese trade-ins. Walking the aisles and looking at the offerings I came to the three Switchbacks. One was a dark red, one a dark blue and the last black. They were shoved together with some Sportsters and a few Dynas, far from the touring bikes and Softails. They looked like a complete afterthought, unloved and unwanted.

Looking at them, they are very similar in size and layout to a classic Harley from the mid-fifties to the end of the panhead era. The bags even open like Electraglides from back then. With the 103" engine this bike should be considerably quicker than any other bagger in the room. The exposed shocks look right as opposed to a Softail or the plastic covered touring bikes. This could be a great bike.

But here's the problem(s): The colors are awful, bikes look like clothing the Amish wear, dark, flat and drab. The wheels are even worse, possibly the ugliest wheels on any bike, let alone a Harley. The bags are too small by 20 percent and the side latch-looking things are too large; the whole mess looks like a trash bin.

And the name? Sorry but it sounds so gay. Switchback??? You mean like that Brokeback Mountain movie about the queer cowboys? Switchwhat? Back what?

So the bikes sit there. Haven't seen one sell in two months which is a shame because with a decent name, some good colors, maybe spoke or at least well-designed wheels this bike should be a hit with people who want a quick bagger for weekend rides or guys who for whatever reason don't need an 850+ lb. touring bike.

Wake up Harley...

You spend to much time at the harley shop

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:01 PM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
I thought I'd share this wonderful private message bjewel sent me.

No argument, just crass insults. I guess we'll have to add duplicitous potty-mouthed fool that doesn't want to reveal his true nature lest other forumites realize what a boor he really is, to your pre-existing accomplishments - illiterate xenophobe.
See I originally said Harley dropped the ball on what could have been a great bike and a lot of people thought so too. And a few disagreed. Fine, we're just shooting the **** here. Then you show up -- five posts total -- and get real snotty while posting pics of your terrific bike which only validated what I had originally said -- Harley could have made a killer bike on the Dyna platform.

And after my unfortunate experience of having to live in a rooming house with Australians in Tokyo I told you what I think: Australians in my experience are loud, aggressive pains in the *** and you amply proved my point. Can't stand them and I hate the Bee-Gees too.

See, unlike you, we Americans didn't bend over and give the government our guns, we still have something here called free speech and many but not all of the posters here aren't particularly pee-cee. Didn't want to cause a hassle to the admins here so I e-mailed you privately.

I certainly was at the receiving end of Australian hatred of Americans, New Zealanders, South Africans, Japanese, Africans ( boy the really hated those dudes) in general. Bunch of drunken bullies and creeps your mates... and strangely enough the Aussies in question were mostly recent immigrants to that pile of sand and ugly wildlife you call home -- mostly from old communist countries. Only thing they shared with the old convict families was bad dental work.

And TFC of 35 posts, I stop by there once a every couple of weeks to shoot the **** with a friend who works there and also plays guitar. I also ride to work every day, go to Costco to buy food and ride just for the hell of it on the weekends. You got a problem with that?

Last edited by bjewell; 05-23-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2013 | 09:36 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Originally Posted by bjewell
See I originally said Harley dropped the ball on what could have been a great bike and a lot of people thought so too. And a few disagreed. Fine, we're just shooting the **** here. Then you show up -- five posts total -- and get real snotty while posting pics of your terrific bike which only validated what I had originally said -- Harley could have made a killer bike on the Dyna platform.

And after my unfortunate experience of having to live in a rooming house with Australians in Tokyo I told you what I think: Australians in my experience are loud, aggressive pains in the *** and you amply proved my point. Can't stand them and I hate the Bee-Gees too.

See, unlike you, we Americans didn't bend over and give the government our guns, we still have something here called free speech and many but not all of the posters here aren't particularly pee-cee. I certainly was at the receiving end of Australian hatred of Americans, New Zealanders, South Africans, Japanese, Africans ( boy the really hated those dudes) in general. Bunch of drunken bullies and creeps your mates...
You see your problem is you think your 4000 posts matter more than my 5. Not only did you make it personal by verballing me (attributing statements to me that I did not make), you found it nessasary to justify your boorish responses by vilifying Australians in general, and now vilifying those that had the missfortune of serving in Japan while you were there. And when you realised you were looking like an unconscionably rude fool, you decided, like the coward you surely are, to shift your insults to a PM where you thought you could pile on even more insults while pretending to be civil to others here.

Funny thing is, it looks to me like you are projecting your own not inconsiderable faults onto my countrymen and women. You're the one expressing hatered of other nationalities, and are you are the one behaving like a drunken bully.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:51 PM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

This is how this conversation started when you posted:

"Seriously, do you belive any of this bull$hit? Nobody gives a stuff that you don't like the colours, or the wheel, or the name, or if the bags are too small for you."

That sounds pretty fking rude to me mate. Up to that the conversation was most civil mate. But you had to come out swinging because you are -- taa-daa -- an Australian and that's how you folks roll.

"and now vilifying those that had the missfortune of serving in Japan while you were there..."

No one was serving anyone there, we were all English teachers trying to make a buck, although the schools rarely hired people with Aussie accents mate, cause your accent is so ugly mate but there you go getting all snotty again, typical of your countrymen. And "misfortune of serving in Japan???"

Hells bells, Japan is paradise compared to that dump you call home but then again Australia is no doubt a darn sight better than Bratislavistan or wherever the hell your family emigrated from.

Peace and out mate, you have a terrific bike and you get props from me for that but you fell out the back of the Snap On truck, that's for sure...

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:45 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer

Look. Let me sum it up for you because keeping track of a conversation, even your own part, seems beyond you.

You were complaining that Harley didn't build the FLD exactly like you would've liked them to - like your opinion maters. And this led you to concluded the FLD was unwanted and unloved, as if yours was the only opinion that mattered. When this was pointed out to you, you decided ramp up from over-blown self importance, to full on personal insult and attack.

You're like a problem gambler - you just keep on doubling down.

Best you lay down and rest old man. You don't want get your blood pressure up.

Old 05-23-2013 | 11:07 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay bike. Overpriced. Don't sell that well. One dealer I know had a handful of 2012's before the 13's came out that he had to discount them heavily to clear them off the floor.

Old 05-24-2013 | 04:05 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer

Funny... 100 pounds lighter then a streetglide, more nimble in handling, spokes are a pain in the *** to clean. Think I will keep mine.. Each to there own I guess.

The following users liked this post:
heavyd1 (07-09-2019)
Old 05-24-2013 | 05:29 AM
flyin1200
Tourer

I don't see where people think it's over priced. The WideGlide is 1000 less than the Switchback for instance. The WG is stripped down and the SB comes with floorboards, windshield, FL front end, headlight nacelle, hard bags, etc. then the next "step" up is the Road King at 1700 more than the Switchback.

Maybe the Road King is underpriced? lol

Or the Switchback just sits in its own little niche between the 2?!?!?

Old 05-24-2013 | 05:33 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
I guess we'll have to add duplicitous potty-mouthed fool that doesn't want to reveal his true nature lest other forumites realize what a boor he really is, to your pre-existing accomplishments - illiterate xenophobe.
Wow big words here, they make my brain hurt. Of course you did type them upside-down. Forumites sounds like a great name for an especially virulent strain of bedbugs.

Quick Reply: The Poor Harley Switchback...