General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hanger laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape hanger laws

I have 18" apes on my bike and I live in PA which there is no ape hanger law. We are planning on taking a trip where some of the states have laws where they can't be above your shoulder. Does anyone know if you can still get a ticket even though my bike is registered in PA?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Should be ok passing through, though some will say otherwise. Probability is low you'll get ****ed with.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Wadcutter
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a few exceptions but generally you have to obey the laws in the state you currently are riding. It's your responsibility to know the laws in the state you are traveling.
Here's an example close to you. Ride to Americade. Your exhaust may be legal in PA but when you ride to Americade your exhaust system has to comply with NY laws. Same with other equipment.
Another example - in your state maybe the accent lights are street legal. Don't try them in another state that prohibits red or blue light to the front or green lights.
I spent just shy of 42 yrs in LE and worked with a lot of different states and the feds concerning traffic safety laws. Just giving fair warning.

Last edited by Wadcutter; 05-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

I hope you are right. I am not changing my bars that is for sure. I heard some stories so I thought I would as for other opinions. Thanks

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

I could always loosen the riser bolts a bit I guess and if I see a cop just pull back a bit on the bars. I heard other people doing that.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I am concerned it won't hold water. It's a PA registered bike. No different than if you take a cage through a Smog town, or a Jacked up Truck through a state with bumper laws, or tires cant be outside fender's.
I am in no way's associated with the law, btw

But that does not mean they won't stop you if your effin up and harass you.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackysporty
Does anyone know if you can still get a ticket even though my bike is registered in PA?
If they're above your shoulders you'll get a ticket in Sturgis

Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wadcutter
There are a few exceptions but generally you have to obey the laws in the state you currently are riding. It's your responsibility to know the laws in the state you are traveling.
Here's an example close to you. Ride to Americade. Your exhaust may be legal in PA but when you ride to Americade your exhaust system has to comply with NY laws. Same with other equipment.
Another example - in your state maybe the accent lights are street legal. Don't try them in another state that prohibits red or blue light to the front or green lights.
I spent just shy of 42 yrs in LE and worked with a lot of different states and the feds concerning traffic safety laws. Just giving fair warning.
Thanks for the info

Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wild Card
As far as I am concerned it won't hold water. It's a PA registered bike. No different than if you take a cage through a Smog town, or a Jacked up Truck through a state with bumper laws, or tires cant be outside fender's.
I am in no way's associated with the law, btw

But that does not mean they won't stop you if your effin up and harass you.
That is what I thought if it is registered in PA how can they give me a ticket going through their state. I also heard people getting tickets in Sturgis with apes so who knows

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent777
If they're above your shoulders you'll get a ticket in Sturgis
Thats bunk, I saw a ton of bikes with bars above shoulders.... riding right past cops. If you ride like a jerk maybe, but if you're not a DB they'll leave you alone.

Quick Reply: Ape hanger laws